4th year medical student with tons of free time and wants to do GI - how can I make the most of this year and start preparing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrechToastFries

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to IM and gotten a good number of interviews, a handful of academic programs. Given that I'm not guaranteed to match at an academic place and really want to do GI, I want to do as much as I can during my free time now to get a head start.

So far, I've done 2 GI rotations this year with a plan to do a 3rd later in the year. I've started working on 4 case reports to submit for presentation/publication. And I've started networking with GI faculty and fellows.

I know this post may come off as overzealous given that I haven't started residency yet, but I would like to get ahead of the game and use my time wisely since I'm not doing much of anything else.

is there anything else I should be doing or could be doing in this time? What would you do if you were me?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

too late..you should have started doing research in intrauterine life to have a reasonable shot of matching x GI...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
too late..you should have started doing research in intrauterine life to have a reasonable shot of matching x GI...

I wish I did, I will have to live with the regret for the rest of my life!

In all seriousness, I get this is early but people take research years all the time to get into their desired field. I'm just considering my 4th year (which has been pretty useless so far) as extra time to prepare for my next step.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I did, I will have to live with the regret for the rest of my life!

In all seriousness, I get this is early but people take research years all the time to get into their desired field. I'm just considering my 4th year (which has been pretty useless so far) as extra time to prepare for my next step.

Research and study for step 3. Nothing else to do at this time.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait until match then reach out to the GI dept there and get your name on something that might be able to start now. More importantly enjoy listening life because you’ll miss this time.

Reactions: 1 users
I've applied to IM and gotten a good number of interviews, a handful of academic programs. Given that I'm not guaranteed to match at an academic place and really want to do GI, I want to do as much as I can during my free time now to get a head start.

So far, I've done 2 GI rotations this year with a plan to do a 3rd later in the year. I've started working on 4 case reports to submit for presentation/publication. And I've started networking with GI faculty and fellows.

I know this post may come off as overzealous given that I haven't started residency yet, but I would like to get ahead of the game and use my time wisely since I'm not doing much of anything else.

is there anything else I should be doing or could be doing in this time? What would you do if you were me?

Thanks in advance!

Be a good IM resident. Continue the research you've done and focus on stuff you are actually interested in but still keeping in mind that numbers do play a role.

If you are interested in a specific area of consider working with a patient advocacy group like CCFA which has local chapters and volunteer opps. Honestly it provides a very different perspective to ones aspirations and is a great experience overall.

Once you become a resident: Sign up for ACG mentorship program. Plan to present at one of the big three GI conferences (ACG/DDW/AASLD) every year, that means knowing deadlines for submission and knowing your programs reimbursement travel policies. Seeing that you are planning to submit and it's already past DDW (and they honestly barely accept case reports) I am assuming you are submitting to ACG and will know about acceptance near the time you start residency.

Do well on step 3 as said above. And again be a good resident. You'll need very strong support by your PD and faculty to get strong letters.

Reactions: 1 user
Be a good IM resident. Continue the research you've done and focus on stuff you are actually interested in but still keeping in mind that numbers do play a role.

If you are interested in a specific area of consider working with a patient advocacy group like CCFA which has local chapters and volunteer opps. Honestly it provides a very different perspective to ones aspirations and is a great experience overall.

Once you become a resident: Sign up for ACG mentorship program. Plan to present at one of the big three GI conferences (ACG/DDW/AASLD) every year, that means knowing deadlines for submission and knowing your programs reimbursement travel policies. Seeing that you are planning to submit and it's already past DDW (and they honestly barely accept case reports) I am assuming you are submitting to ACG and will know about acceptance near the time you start residency.

Do well on step 3 as said above. And again be a good resident. You'll need very strong support by your PD and faculty to get strong letters.
Thanks, this is great advice!!

For the cases I'm working on now, I'm assuming I can't submit these for any conference like ACG until I become a resident, is that accurate? In the meantime, could I submit them for publication to some journals that accept case reports (cureus, ACG case reports, etc.) and then try to present them once I become a resident?

Appreciate the info

For the cases I'm working on now, I'm assuming I can't submit these for any conference like ACG until I become a resident, is that accurate? In the meantime, could I submit them for publication to some journals that accept case reports (cureus, ACG case reports, etc.) and then try to present them once I become a resident?

Appreciate the info
You can submit to any conference as a med student,,,deadline is June for acg..

You can submit to any conference as a med student,,,deadline is June for acg..
Thank you! I was just confused because it seems that you can't get an ACG membership without being a resident, fellow, or physician.

Appreciate the info

No you can submit to ACG as a medical student. Sorry if there was confusion about that. You are allowed to submit at any time I just figured timing wise you probably won't be a resident until decisions for these things happen.

You don't have to be a resident or fellow to submit to the conference. I think as a medical student the cost is free to attend the conference anyhow.

Glad to help. I was definitely in your shoes as a medical student with being interested in GI and wanting to be involved in anyway possible.

Reactions: 1 user
No you can submit to ACG as a medical student. Sorry if there was confusion about that. You are allowed to submit at any time I just figured timing wise you probably won't be a resident until decisions for these things happen.

You don't have to be a resident or fellow to submit to the conference. I think as a medical student the cost is free to attend the conference anyhow.

Glad to help. I was definitely in your shoes as a medical student with being interested in GI and wanting to be involved in anyway possible.

Thanks! I really appreciate your insight. I'd like to get more advice from you but not sure how to send a DM, so if you could send me a DM maybe we could chat a little more :)