4th Year Medical Student - Year Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMhopeful2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year medical student who is taking a year off (2 semesters) because I wanted to participate in the couples match next year, and also did not know I wanted to do EM until it was too late. I did not have any EM rotations under my belt, and therefore no SLOEs. I am taking an academic leave for the fall and spring semesters and then starting back up summer of 2018.

Step 1 and Step 2 250+, passed CS. Currently wondering what I should do to stay productive in my time off. I am thinking about working as an ED scribe, and briefly thought about getting EMT certification and working, but that route seems like it may take too long to complete.

Any suggestions on what I can do during my time off so that it does not make me less competitive when I apply next year will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year medical student who is taking a year off (2 semesters) because I wanted to participate in the couples match next year, and also did not know I wanted to do EM until it was too late. I did not have any EM rotations under my belt, and therefore no SLOEs. I am taking an academic leave for the fall and spring semesters and then starting back up summer of 2018.

Step 1 and Step 2 250+, passed CS. Currently wondering what I should do to stay productive in my time off. I am thinking about working as an ED scribe, and briefly thought about getting EMT certification and working, but that route seems like it may take too long to complete.

Any suggestions on what I can do during my time off so that it does not make me less competitive when I apply next year will be much appreciated. Thank you!
MPH + EM research.

Working as a scribe or EMT work is pre-med work.

Reactions: 1 user

Are you postponing graduation? Because being a year out from graduation is going to hurt your app more than pretty much anything you do in the mean time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you postponing graduation? Because being a year out from graduation is going to hurt your app more than pretty much anything you do in the mean time.
I'm taking fall and spring semesters off and will be rejoining the class below me in July so, no, I will not have graduated until spring 2019. I just want to know what would be the best thing to do during the two semesters I have off.

I heard research isn't helpful in EM?

Can you use part of that time off for away rotations in order to get SLOEs since you don't have any yet? That seems like the most immediate necessity.

Can you use part of that time off for away rotations in order to get SLOEs since you don't have any yet? That seems like the most immediate necessity.

This. If you don't have any SLOEs, don't bother applying, even with your killer scores.

This. If you don't have any SLOEs, don't bother applying, even with your killer scores.

I don't think that I can do away rotations while I am on academic leave, can I? I was planning on doing my away rotations when I start school again in July

You'd have to ask your school since I have a sneaking suspicion it depends on their definition of "academic leave."