4th year (or earlier) Externships Abroad in UK/Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PocoCalypsoQH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever gone abroad to do an externship or heard of anything like that? I'd really like to do a small ruminant externship in UK/Ireland, but not really sure how to go about it. Any advice RVC/Edinburgh/UCD students?

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend just searching online for vets in the area of the country and specialty you're interested in. You'll find many of the websites have information on them about externships and EMS (extra mural studies - which is basically externships before your final year, which we are required to do).

For example - here is a large farm vet group across southern england with a few clinics that takes externs: http://www.westpointfarmvets.co.uk/

have you checked out your schools externship resources?

We have a set of binders that are divided into different categories (Small Animal, Large Animal, Food Animal, Exotics, Wildlife, Lab Animal etc) that have information about different externships that are available and that students have previously participated in. Each one contains a summary by each student that participated in the externship that details cost, living accomodations, how they liked the externship, what they were allowed to do/not allowed to do etc.

I know that several students from Penn have done externships at RVC (i'm hoping to maybe do one myself!) and other private practices in the the UK. I would check with your school first and then definitely contact potential private practices over there once you've figured out your schedule/if you want to get credit etc etc.

Good luck!

Anyone ever gone abroad to do an externship or heard of anything like that? I'd really like to do a small ruminant externship in UK/Ireland, but not really sure how to go about it. Any advice RVC/Edinburgh/UCD students?

Do you mean lambing or do you mean medicine related? To be honest with you, if you want to do small ruminants, the first thing people over here will tell you is vets don't see sheep, like....ever. The cost of the sheep is far less than the vet bill, so typically farmers self treat/cull. If you work in a mixed practice, you may do some herd health stuff though? Most of them are happy to take on vet students. Just say you want to do EMS.

Lambing was a pretty great experience. Used to be a 2 week spring break pre clinical requirement for us.