4th Year Rotation Advice - DO or MD Residencies? Large Hospitals or Small?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandals246

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm an osteopathic third year currently, and I'm looking to do a couple IM "showcase" rotations this fall in Detroit, MI.

My problem is that there are so many IM programs in the area, both osteopathic and allopathic, and I don't know yet if I'll be participating in the AOA or AMA Match. Ideally, I'd like to figure out what kind of residency I want before scheduling my fourth yr away rotations.

In Detroit, the major difference at these programs seems to be the size of the hospitals: ie. 300-beds in osteopathic programs vs 900 beds in allopathic programs.

Does anyone have an idea of what the major differences are being at large academic centers vs smaller community hospitals? I realize that being at a larger hospital there are more opportunities for fellowships, but I want to do hospitalist or outpatient medicine. My question is really geared toward what type of programs offer the best lifestyle along with the best learning.

Oh, and if anyone has specific advice about rotating at Wayne State, Henry Ford, or any of the Osteopathic programs in the Detroit area, it would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.