Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

4th year rotation electives

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by BamaAlum, Jun 28, 2001.

1. BamaAlum

10+ Year Member

This may be a little premature as I haven't been admitted to a D.O. school yet, but I was wondering what is the policy of most D.O. schools on doing 4th year electives. I am interested in a particular IM residency program that allows 4th year med students to do elective rotations in their program. No doubt this is an excellent opportunity to make a good impression and get your foot in the door for the residency. I was just curious if D.O. schools allow this or are you required to do all of your electives at the hospitals designated by the school. By the way, the residency program is an allopathic program. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have very little detail knowledge about DMU's 4th year rotation, but from my visits at DMU and research.... My understanding is that DMU's 4th year rotation allows you to choose whatever or where ever you want.... Some DMU student's hate not having to have a set hospital or clinic for this particular year but if you want choice then DMU will let you....

4. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i'm pretty sure most schools don't care if an elective is DO or MD-- after all, it's YOUR elective to "get your foot in the door", and since they let you go to MD residencies, why not a rotaton as well?

take it easy

homonculus

5. ewagner

ewagner Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Perhaps I can shed some light, as a fourth year.
    Your fourth year is typically wide open, with a few "set" requirements like EM or FP or Cardiology, the rest are generally set up by you. IM is a field which is pretty wide open and doing an allopathic rotation will not be a problem at all! In fact, my 4th year is at more allopathic teaching sites than osteopathic!