Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

4th year rotation in Pediatric Emergency Medicine

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by JPJ13, Dec 24, 2008.

1. JPJ13

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Any recommendations for a 4th year rotation in pediatric emergency medicine (preferably in the southeast)?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J-Rad

Physician Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    CHKD in Norfolk is a nice place. I really enjoyed working with all of the attendings (our residents rotated through their Peds ED), and while I busted hump there (I was usually there during busy times) I left pretty satisfied and feeling like I learned something. The only downside might be that they don't see unstable trauma (that's sent to Norfolk General), so if you were looking for that, it might not be the best place.

4. Hawk22

Hawk22 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

UNC has a great Peds EM rotation based out of Wake Med in Raleigh. The Peds ED there is beautiful and VERY busy, so you get tons of great experience. I didn't rotate there, but I met several of the faculty and they are all top teachers and clinicians. All of my friends who did that elective loved it and had a great experience at Wake Med.

5. dchristismi

dchristismi Gin and Tonic
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You might also look into Arnold Palmer Hospital through ORMC (Orlando). Top notch pediatrics, starting a peds EM fellowship (in July,) Level 1 trauma, and lots of great peds pathology. Remember, every Make-A-Wish kid wants to go to DisneyWorld, and between Make a Wish and Give Kids the World, you will see a ton of weird stuff because it seems like they ALL get sick on their trips.

You could probably set something up specifically for a Peds EM experience, although students generally rotate at ORMC there's nothing that says you couldn't set up something specifically at APH.