4th year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to rotate at a couple programs that I would have a fighting chance of getting into. I don't want to waste my time at a program that only takes Ivy League students,etc...(My stats: Step1 225, good clinical grades, average pre-clin gradess, med school not a big name, some research). Hope some of you can give me the inside scoop on these programs. I'm also looking for a program where speaking spanish would be an advantage to me. Any info on these programs would be appreciated. Thanks.

Resurrection
UT Dallas
UT Houston
Maricopa
Univ of Arizona
Univ of New Mexico
LSU New Orleans (Charity)
Boston Univ
Wayne State Univ (Grace)
Henry Ford
Indiana Univ

Members don't see this ad.

From a quick glance, all of those look like pretty good EM residencies... I would suggest that you need to search yourself and find out what kind of program you want to do your residency at (university, community, big city, suburb, etc), and what region of the country you want.

Go to the websites of each of those residencies and check them out, you'll get a lot of good information from that, too.

In regards to the Spanish factor, you will be helped by that at ANY residency you go into. But I would think that the Texas residencies would help the most.

Q

I personally would go for LSU NO or Parkland. I interviewed at both places. You could potentially get letters from some big names, plus the rotations would be at real zoos and it would be a lot of fun to work in a place that's "like on TV" for a month.

I would not do more than one away rotation, especially if your school has a home residency... they'll ask why you didn't do that. If you don't have one, I would do two MAX. Don't go overboard. It's expensive and unncecessary.

mike

Originally posted by johnson
I want to rotate at a couple programs that I would have a fighting chance of getting into. I don't want to waste my time at a program that only takes Ivy League students,etc...(My stats: Step1 225, good clinical grades, average pre-clin gradess, med school not a big name, some research). Hope some of you can give me the inside scoop on these programs. I'm also looking for a program where speaking spanish would be an advantage to me. Any info on these programs would be appreciated. Thanks.

Resurrection
UT Dallas
UT Houston
Maricopa
Univ of Arizona
Univ of New Mexico
Boston Univ
Wayne State Univ (Grace)
Henry Ford
Indiana Univ

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you from first-hand experience that Grace can be a zoo and it is a great place to train.

In terms of the Spanish-speaking, there are remote opportunities. However, there are probably more people with various Arabic dialects than there are Spanish-speaking.

I think you would be an excellent candidate at any of the programs. The most important thing is to do a rotation at a program you are interested in applying to. This will maximize your chances.

Personally, I know of Wayne State (Grace) and Henry Ford. These are both excellent programs where students get to do alot and learn alot. Good luck! Get a SLOR wherever you go!

The bottom line is that if you rotate somewhere, you will have a leg up on all of the other people who look like you on paper, so if you know you've GOTTA be at one of the places on your list next year, by all means rotate there.

That being said, I interviewed at several of those places with lower boards scores and similar grades.

I rotated at UT-Houston and really enjoyed my month. The program was and is going through some changes, but the faculty are young and willing to teach and from top-notch programs. You wouldn't go wrong as far as getting to do stuff there--always busy and I did get to brush up on my spanish. Also, the med student coordinator has students meet her 2x weekly at Starbucks for student lectures which is fun. Other places have more established faculty who may have more name recognition on the SLOR though.

Good luck. Apply to places you don't think you'll get in...then you'll never say what if!

Originally posted by mikecwru
...I would not do more than one away rotation, especially if your school has a home residency... they'll ask why you didn't do that. If you don't have one, I would do two MAX. Don't go overboard. It's expensive and unncecessary.

mike

Actually, I ended up doing two away rotations, plus a rotation at my home school. Perhaps, unnecessary...but, working 14 days out of the month beats 20+ anyday, and it was fun...I stayed with friends which cut down on cost tremendously.

Originally posted by johnson

Resurrection
UT Dallas
UT Houston
Maricopa
Univ of Arizona
Univ of New Mexico
Boston Univ
Wayne State Univ (Grace)
Henry Ford
Indiana Univ

i'm only a soon to be 1st year student at UA, but i have spent lots of time in the EDs at UA and Maricopa. your spanish will definitely come in handy at either, seeing as how mexico is less than about 200 miles away and both hospitals have large hispanic populations.

UA is in tucson, a city of ~600K and is (i think) the only level 1. i heard they closed the other one, but i'm not positive.

maricopa is in phx, a city of 2-3 million in the greater valley area. there are about 5 level 1s throughout, and county is one of 3 within a 5 mile area from one another.

i work as an ED tech right now and work with several docs that were trained at both UA and maricopa and they are all excellent EM docs.

PM if you have any other questions. hope this helps.