4th year skills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeMD13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain how multiple 4th year medical students could tell a patient that since Motrin does not alleviate her symptoms, she should instead try ibuprofen?? And also, why, when the fact that Motrin IS ibuprofen was brought up, that these students were told it was "no big deal" and "don't worry about it" while others were criticized for recommending alternative OTCs like Tylenol or naproxen? This was during a high stakes assessment. I'm just a bit confused here.

Members don't see this ad.

Good thread. You should get a medal, or shut down your computer, unplug it, and throw it off a cliff

Somewhat unrelated, but we once had a professor fail an M2 in an outpatient clinical skills class for not knowing that Naproxen was an NSAID.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Somewhat unrelated, but we once had a professor fail an M2 in an outpatient clinical skills class for not knowing that Naproxen was an NSAID.

Damn lol a fail just like that

That is pretty extreme but I felt like at least something should have been said rather than just a dismissive wave of a hand and a "no biggie." The amount of inconsistency I've witnessed with something that was supposed to be standardized is extremely frustrating.

Sometimes saying ibuprofen makes things work better. Like, the generic name makes it sound better. And writing a script for it makes it more legit.

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes saying ibuprofen makes things work better. Like, the generic name makes it sound better. And writing a script for it makes it more legit.
Oh definitely. I agree. The student genuinely didn't know they were the same thing. The instructor did explain that to him though. I guess what upsets me the most is that that was ok and allowed to pass by when all these other really bright students were criticized. Some of them even brought up valid and accurate points above and beyond what was expected and they just got shot down.

Oh definitely. I agree. The student genuinely didn't know they were the same thing. The instructor did explain that to him though. I guess what upsets me the most is that that was ok and allowed to pass by when all these other really bright students were criticized. Some of them even brought up valid and accurate points above and beyond what was expected and they just got shot down.
Welcome to medical school. Clinical years are just the same. Or... You'll experience that.
Wait until someone asks you what Brand Name X does and you ask for the generic name and get dismissed, told what it does and you're like 'oh, generic name X.' For which you knew what that did.

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome to medical school. Clinical years are just the same. Or... You'll experience that.
Wait until someone asks you what Brand Name X does and you ask for the generic name and get dismissed, told what it does and you're like 'oh, generic name X.' For which you knew what that did.

Solution, know the brand names if possible? lol.

Easier said than done. Some meds are known by generic name and some by brand and some by both. Usually its what name is easiest
Water pill. Just ****ing call it that and remove the brand/generic name for good.

Had a patient refer to finasteride as a "water pill". Makes sense from their perspective I guess..

Topic title is very misleading. Very, very misleading.

"4th year skills?" If you do fourth year right and take your AI, Step 2 CS/CK all in the first two months (as I have) then "4th year skills" means something entirely different to me, like learning to play the guitar, picking up a new language, chronic masturbation, etc.

And you want to talk about MEDICINE?! what kind of 4th year medical student are you

Reactions: 1 users
Topic title is very misleading. Very, very misleading.

"4th year skills?" If you do fourth year right and take your AI, Step 2 CS/CK all in the first two months (as I have) then "4th year skills" means something entirely different to me, like learning to play the guitar, picking up a new language, chronic masturbation, etc.

And you want to talk about MEDICINE?! what kind of 4th year medical student are you

Lol chronic masturbation