4th year student Switching to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KapS86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am having a change of heart about EM, my initial choice, and planning on applying for medicine now.

I have a 3rd year Peds letter and a 3rd year letter from the Chair of Medicine from my 3rd year site. I did 3 medicine rotations, HS HS and Honors. The earliest 4th year medicine rotation I can do is in October and the letter wont be in till mid November at the earliest. I was wondering what my chances are since i will only have the letters above plus a departmental letter from my school.

Step 1 and Step 2: 240+

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am having a change of heart about EM, my initial choice, and planning on applying for medicine now.

I have a 3rd year Peds letter and a 3rd year letter from the Chair of Medicine from my 3rd year site. I did 3 medicine rotations, HS HS and Honors. The earliest 4th year medicine rotation I can do is in October and the letter wont be in till mid November at the earliest. I was wondering what my chances are since i will only have the letters above plus a departmental letter from my school.

What are my chances???????

You are likely destined for a community program somewhere in rural Montana..........after you don't match and scramble for a spot. Then you will be lucky if you are able to even match in a nephrology fellowship after finishing residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I am ambivalent about Jim Carrey. Sometimes I think he's brilliant and other times I think he's an idiot.

I'm less ambivalent about the OP, however. Assuming the OP is an AMG, s/he will be fine. Apply to mid-tier and upper programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I am an american medical student. My question was in regards to the LORs that I currently have. I wanted to know if having a PEDs or Fam medicine letter as my second letter until my October letter is submitted (sometime in November) would be looked down on.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it

I think those scores are pretty decent especially if you are AMG