Peter Parker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'll be an MS1 next year in the US and just wanted to get an idea if any MS4's at US schools were looking at Canadian options. Are Canadian programs a part of the NRMP? Have any of you had a chance to take electives in Canada?

Lara

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Canadian residencies are not part of the NRMP - they have their own matching program (CaRMS).

www.carms.ca

Unfortunately international (including the US) medical graduates are generally only able to participate in the "second" round for which there are *very* slim pickings. The only exception may be for those with Canadian citizenship, and I believe it depends on the program (there's contradictory info on this point).

So basically it's highly, highly unlikely that you could land anything decent (I imagine the only available residencies would be family practice in rather horrible rural locations). :( But I think you can do away rotations just for the experience, and practicing in Canada post-residency is much less out of the question (though still a challenge).

Hope this helps and I'm sorry I didn't have better news! For more info you might want to visit these forums:

http://pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm25
http://pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm27

Surfer75

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Status
I'm applying CaRMS and NRMP, but I'm attending a Canadian med school although I'm from CA... and I had to apply for landed immigrant status to get cleared for 1st iteration CaRMS. The stipulation is that since CaRMS concludes 3 wks earlier than the US match then basically whatever you rank in Canada precedes your ranking in NRMP and you get pulled out of NRMP if you match through CaRMS.

Thewonderer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2001
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Surfer75
I'm applying CaRMS and NRMP, but I'm attending a Canadian med school although I'm from CA... and I had to apply for landed immigrant status to get cleared for 1st iteration CaRMS. The stipulation is that since CaRMS concludes 3 wks earlier than the US match then basically whatever you rank in Canada precedes your ranking in NRMP and you get pulled out of NRMP if you match through CaRMS.
I just wondering how you got to apply for landed immigrant status? I assume that you are still a student and not a professional yet. Unless you get loads of money and invest, how did Canada decide to let you in (i.e. grant you landed immigrant status)? :confused:

Peter Parker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Lara,
Thanks for your advice! I didn't expect it to be this difficult to get post-graduate training in Canada. After reading the following info from CaRMS, I'll look to practicing in Canada rather than for residency. You're very lucky to be a Canadian!

Info from CaRMS:

In 1997 only 8% of graduates of foreign medical schools who applied to CaRMS were successful in obtaining a postgraduate medical position. Of the 1,214 postgraduate training positions in the 1997 match, only 16 or 1% of the positions were matched to graduates of foreign medical schools.