1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

4th years considering residency in Canada?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Peter Parker, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll be an MS1 next year in the US and just wanted to get an idea if any MS4's at US schools were looking at Canadian options. Are Canadian programs a part of the NRMP? Have any of you had a chance to take electives in Canada?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lara

Lara Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Canadian residencies are not part of the NRMP - they have their own matching program (CaRMS).

www.carms.ca

Unfortunately international (including the US) medical graduates are generally only able to participate in the "second" round for which there are *very* slim pickings. The only exception may be for those with Canadian citizenship, and I believe it depends on the program (there's contradictory info on this point).

So basically it's highly, highly unlikely that you could land anything decent (I imagine the only available residencies would be family practice in rather horrible rural locations). :( But I think you can do away rotations just for the experience, and practicing in Canada post-residency is much less out of the question (though still a challenge).

Hope this helps and I'm sorry I didn't have better news! For more info you might want to visit these forums:

http://pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm25
    http://pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm27

4. Surfer75

Surfer75 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm applying CaRMS and NRMP, but I'm attending a Canadian med school although I'm from CA... and I had to apply for landed immigrant status to get cleared for 1st iteration CaRMS. The stipulation is that since CaRMS concludes 3 wks earlier than the US match then basically whatever you rank in Canada precedes your ranking in NRMP and you get pulled out of NRMP if you match through CaRMS.

5. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I just wondering how you got to apply for landed immigrant status? I assume that you are still a student and not a professional yet. Unless you get loads of money and invest, how did Canada decide to let you in (i.e. grant you landed immigrant status)? :confused:

6. Surfer75

Surfer75 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Lara,
    Thanks for your advice! I didn't expect it to be this difficult to get post-graduate training in Canada. After reading the following info from CaRMS, I'll look to practicing in Canada rather than for residency. You're very lucky to be a Canadian!

Info from CaRMS:

In 1997 only 8% of graduates of foreign medical schools who applied to CaRMS were successful in obtaining a postgraduate medical position. Of the 1,214 postgraduate training positions in the 1997 match, only 16 or 1% of the positions were matched to graduates of foreign medical schools.