4th Yr clerkship experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if people can comment on some of these 4th yr electives. I am trying to decide where to do my rotation. Here are the places I am considering, any and all advice is welcome. I hope to get a lot of experience and I would like 1-2 good letters.

1) Charity Hospital-LSU
2) Wake Forest
3) USF - i know a bunch of you guys on these threads go here.
4) Jacksonville
5) Louisville
6) Johns Hopkins
7) Texas A&M Scott White
8) Parkland in Dallas
9) Orlando Regional

I know it is a lot but I hope you guys can help me out!

Members don't see this ad.

USF's fourth year EM rotation is structured so that you work 12, 8 hour shifts over the month. The shifts are spread out between day and night shifts with a couple of fast track shifts. Fast track was actually great because you work 1 on 1 with a single attending the whole shift which allows for a lot of teaching.

Didactics are every Wednesday with the residents 7am till noon. We were given copies of chptrs from tintinelli's to read with a quiz at the end of the month based on the reading. You are also given little eval forms to hand out to the Attendings you work with.

Easy month, lots of fun. Residents and Attendings were great to work with. Any Q's feel free to message me.

I did a visiting rotation at JHU on their CCU. It was a very good month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to add another Q.

It recently came to my attention that you can do a Mayo elective at both Jacksonville -St Luke (I believe) or Rochester. Wondering if anyone has insight on these. Especially the one in Jax.

Thanks

If you're going to come to Jacksonville, I'd recommend rotating at UF in Jax instead. It's the only place in town with a residency and the only Level I trauma center in town. You'll get lots of procedures (Including intubations,chest tubes,lines etc) and you'll have the opportunity to get a good letter. At Mayo they have private ED docs, I don't know anything about the rotation but I'd expect you'll see more zebras and less bread and butter EM and the only trauma you[ll see will be the minor stuff. You also won't have EM residents to bounce questions off of about residency and applications etc but you will have your attending's undivided attention most likely. Just my 2 cents

i rotated at Parkland in Dallas (and am an intern here now) and Louisville. I thought both were great student rotations. For Dallas housing, go to http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept23940/files/62410.html
(go to http://www.saem.org/rotation/tx.htm for more info). There is a 3rd year resident on their "teaching month." Therefore, many of your shifts there is a dedicated resident to ask questions and have help w/ procedures. Schedule is 12 twelve hour shifts and it is flexible to switch or change shifts. Plenty of procedures for the students. Be sure to let the residents know you want dibs on procedures. Louisville had me pick my shifts on the first day. I got to do a lot there also.

-Andy

EctopicFetus said:
Just wondering if people can comment on some of these 4th yr electives. I am trying to decide where to do my rotation. Here are the places I am considering, any and all advice is welcome. I hope to get a lot of experience and I would like 1-2 good letters.

1) Charity Hospital-LSU
2) Wake Forest
3) USF - i know a bunch of you guys on these threads go here.
4) Jacksonville
5) Louisville
6) Johns Hopkins
7) Texas A&M Scott White
8) Parkland in Dallas
9) Orlando Regional

I know it is a lot but I hope you guys can help me out!

why dont we throw in Christ hospital and cook county in that pile. Has anyone rotated there recently? any thoughts?

Ok Thanks for all the reponses. I wanted to know your guys opinion on

Orlando Regional. I really would like to know whho the heavy hitters are so i can egt a good rec.

Thanks
Ectopic

Did a month of EM at Parland a few months ago and I loved it. You work 12, 12 hour shifts. There was almost zero scut and I spent the whole month doing procedures, and I only worked up a couple of patients. It was awesome. I'm not interested in EM but I would highly recommend rotating there for those who are.

Has anyone done an elective at The Carolinas, Emory, UAB, LSU, UNC?

Anyone with insight into Orlando and Wake (although I have gotten good info on wake). I am trying to decide where to do my 2nd elective and these are the 2 I am deciding between.

Chas99 said:
Has anyone done an elective at The Carolinas, Emory, UAB, LSU, UNC?

I may be able to help out, since I did UAB and have good friends who went to Charity and Caroinas. PM me and I'll be happy to share.