4th yr Rotations in Hong Kong or China

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaverickMD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am MSI wondering about rotations during 4th yr. Has anyone gone on a rotation to either Hong Kong or somewhere else in China? I am highly interested in doing so. Is University of Hong Kong the only(best) option? Contact info? Thanks.

-Mav

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you should realize that you must be fluent in Mandarin Chinese (for the Mainland Chinese rotations) or Cantonese (for the Hong Kong rotations) to qualify for these types of programs. I was once interested in doing an elective in Taiwan (where you'd need to know at least Mandarin), but shyed away from it because it was really difficult to set up, would take away elective time for residency applications, and would be pretty darn expensive.

I found a lot of contact information on the AMSA website.

I should warn you that the medicine practiced in China (Mainland) is pretty out-dated, and is not up to American standards. Several articles in the New York Times about a year ago pointed to the astonishing lack of basic science knowledge on the part of Chinese-trained physicians & surgeons. The same series of articles also pointed to a growing AIDS problem in China secondary to a lack of education on HIV transmission within the general population as well as with all Chinese-trained physicians. Furthermore Chinese hospitals, especially those in the interior portions of the Mainland, routinely re-use needles (after ineffective "sterilization") and purchase discarded needles from locals who sell it for cash.

Medicine in Hong Kong and Taiwan is better, so I'd look to there if you plan on learning anything at all.

Originally posted by ******

I should warn you that the medicine practiced in China (Mainland) is pretty out-dated, and is not up to American standards. Several articles in the New York Times about a year ago pointed to the astonishing lack of basic science knowledge on the part of Chinese-trained physicians & surgeons.

This may be a stupid question, are you referring to everywhere in China? Even Beijing and Shanghai? I know this is a 'STFW' question, but you wouldn't happen to know anything about the 'state of medicine' in Harbin, would you? I was pondering doing an elective there... when the time comes.

Members don't see this ad :)
The articles focused mainly on the inadequacies of physicians and the state of medical practice in the interior parts of the country. Shanghai, Beijing, and the coastal cities are GENERALLY more advanced than the middle parts, but I can't tell you what's going on there.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your info. I was looking at the AMSA website for electives in Hong Kong. I also did a quick search on the web for any available international electives in HK. However, I didn't find one single program! Disappointed... do you have any suggestions? Do we have to initiate contact by ourselves on an individual basis?

-Mav

If AMSA doesn't have any listings for Hong Kong-based programs, then go to the institutions themselves.

Most institutions should be pretty open to having a visiting student, but again, I'm sure they'll milk you for every bit they can get (cash wise, I mean). This goes for any international elective.

Originally posted by ******

Most institutions should be pretty open to having a visiting student, but again, I'm sure they'll milk you for every bit they can get (cash wise, I mean). This goes for any international elective.

Well, some are very reasonable and some are even free. It really depends on the country, location within the country, the institution or institutions involved, and in some cases, your long-term interests.

Also, just because an international elective is not up to par with U.S. standards does not at all mean it is worthless or that you will not learn much. It can mean that you learn how to do much more with much less, which can be a priceless skill depending upon where and in what your medical interests lie.

Could anybody talk about their experience in certain Chinese hospitals?
Hey, Purifyer. What do you mean " the state of medicine in Harbin"? Harbin is a northern city in China, right?