4th yr student, when do i start to apply for corporate jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danxdan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be going to Southern California after graduating in May( yes i know its really rough in CA) so im realistic though.

my question is, if i want to work in a commercial/corporate setting like for sears/walmart/ or one of those options when should i apply.

because i won't get a license until a few mos after i graduate, correct? so should i be applying to these places now while in school or wait until i get an acutal license.

Members don't see this ad.

Start applying now, especially if you can talk to OD recruiters who often work with students on rotations.

It's more common for private practices to want to see experience/want you to fill in after you have a license, but starting early (I started toward end of 3rd year) gives you a definite advantage over other graduates who are procrastinating. I had an employer say specifically that they liked my initiative on contacting them so early.

Edit: Be ready to really stand out as an applicant in California. Being able to perform exams in Spanish and/or Chinese is crucial. Otherwise, you're most likely looking at multiple PT and fill-in.

so is PT and even fill-in shifts readily available or is that even tough to get? im ok with living low and not making much money but i just need enough to make loan payments. i have housing/expenses covered luckily with help from family.

Members don't see this ad :)
so is PT and even fill-in shifts readily available or is that even tough to get? im ok with living low and not making much money but i just need enough to make loan payments. i have housing/expenses covered luckily with help from family.

You may have found this out yourself already, but the answer is: it depends.
Most places want you working Friday/Saturday/Monday (or Sunday if they're open), so those are easy to find...I would suggest securing PT for those days.
Tuesday/Weds/Thurs. though? Pretty tough to come by, so those might be your open fill-in days.
Best of luck