4yr omfs receptive to gp applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molarjuncky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone name some of these 4yr progs that dont look negatively at gp applicants that have been in gp for 5-8yrs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Molar,
I am applying and I have been GP for 4years. I have been reading on SDN for a long time and have read everything from program directors like it to PD's hate it for us to have experience.

Dont really have any info about which programs might smile on that experience.

Will see!

From what I heard, most people don't really care, some like experience, and some don't. Usually the reason that directors don't like gp/pedo/endo experience is because there have been residents with those background quitting after being accepted. It's very hard to get used to the life of a resident after having practiced for a few years; you have to learn to be a student again, spending most of the time in the hospital, taking calls, and making really small amount of money. At the same time, some directors like the fact that you want to come back and be trained more after you've worked in the real world and really understands what you want. Generally, gp experience shouldn't hurt you, but pedo/endo might, for the aformentioned reason. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Rai rai. With the few GPs I have seen come back to residency, it takes some time to beat the "general dentist" mentality out of them from both a systemic disease/whole body standpoint as well as from a work hours standpoint. It's a challenge to start looking more critically at the whole body after one has been only looking at teeth for several years. I've also seen GPs have a tough time stomaching the idea that they don't go home until the work is done....which may be at 10pm or it may be 2-3 days later. Rarely at 5pm like they are used to. Lastly, program directors are always looking for people who may end up in academics since we're at a crisis nationally with faculty shortages. My humble observation is that GPs want to go directly back to private practice just to be on the receiving end of those referrals they used to send out. This is just my observation, and program directors may have a completely different opinion. Program directors DO tend to base decisions on prior experiences.

With years of GP experience, will the OP need board scores in the 90s and be top 5% of his/her graduating class, similar to all other recent graduated OMFS applicants?

With years of GP experience, will the OP need board scores in the 90s and be top 5% of his/her graduating class, similar to all other recent graduated OMFS applicants?

While I'm no program director, I think the cutoffs each program director looks for would still be the same. I can't think of anything significantly useful that a GP would bring to oral surgery residency, especially since residency is generally NOTHING like private practice. Just my humble 2 cents.

Do an internship. Greatest thing that a PD worries about with someone coming from private practice is lack of commitment to the program. By doing an intership at a strong program (and do a good job at it), it will show them that you are committed to being a resident AND that you are fully aware of what you are getting into (hours and decrease in pay). So go ahead and apply, but also be looking into intern positions.

Do an internship. Greatest thing that a PD worries about with someone coming from private practice is lack of commitment to the program. By doing an intership at a strong program (and do a good job at it), it will show them that you are committed to being a resident AND that you are fully aware of what you are getting into (hours and decrease in pay). So go ahead and apply, but also be looking into intern positions.

thank you for the advice; are you still assuming that a board score of 90 is a requirement in addition to the internship?

I've also seen GPs have a tough time stomaching the idea that they don't go home until the work is done....which may be at 10pm or it may be 2-3 days later.

yeah, when i did an internship, the chief resident, married with kids, spent the night with the interns the first couple of weeks to take call with them, show them how to do orthognathic workups, etc. i think there was a period in there of like five days straight that he didn't even go outside. I forget his name, but that man could put away some Tab soda.