5 interviews so far...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reidmike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never thought I would get this many interviews with a 27 MCAT, but I have and I am very grateful. You can check my mdapps for the rest of my application info. I just wanted your opinion on my chances of acceptance at one out of these five schools. I have attended interviews at Albert Einstein, Drexel, and University of Central Florida. My interview at Creighton is next Saturday and I have an interview at West Virginia University (M.D.) in January. I am still waiting on at least 15 schools (small-pool at RFU and May status at VCU). I also applied in June. If these are the only five interviews I get all cycle, what do you all think my chances are of getting accepted this cycle (keeping in mind my stats, ECs, and good LORs)? I think I have been doing well on the interviews, based on interviewer feedback. I appreciate any comments! Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I never thought I would get this many interviews with a 27 MCAT, but I have and I am very grateful. You can check my mdapps for the rest of my application info. I just wanted your opinion on my chances of acceptance at one out of these five schools. I have attended interviews at Albert Einstein, Drexel, and University of Central Florida. My interview at Creighton is next Saturday and I have an interview at West Virginia University (M.D.) in January. I am still waiting on at least 15 schools (small-pool at RFU and May status at VCU). I also applied in June. If these are the only five interviews I get all cycle, what do you all think my chances are of getting accepted this cycle (keeping in mind my stats, ECs, and good LORs)? I think I have been doing well on the interviews, based on interviewer feedback. I appreciate any comments! Thanks and good luck to everyone!

I think you have a pretty decent shot....I would be surprised if you did not get in somewhere then!!

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations on the 5 interviews. that is very good!

Have you heard from the other schools in FL?

No, I haven't heard from an other schools in FL. I wasn't even expecting to be considered at UCF since they are really selective, but it doesn't surprise me that I never can expect anything from this process.

congratulations on the 5 interviews. that is very good!

Thanks! I just hope it ends up paying off!

I think you have a pretty decent shot....I would be surprised if you did not get in somewhere then!!

I'm hoping that, if I do get in this year, I won't be stuck on the waitlist til summer! I guess beggars can't be choosers though lol.

The general rule is that if you have 3 or more interviews and don't get in anywhere, then your interview skills are likely seriously lacking. So unless you're a terrible interviewer, then you'll be fine!

The general rule is that if you have 3 or more interviews and don't get in anywhere, then your interview skills are likely seriously lacking. So unless you're a terrible interviewer, then you'll be fine!

Yeah - my number analysis has convinced me you should get 1 acceptance for every 3 interviews minimum (statistically speaking).

Congrats, reidmike. Here's hoping one of those great interviews will translate into an acceptance. It only takes one!

I'm surprised you haven't gotten more action from other Florida schools, but it isn't over yet.

Consider offering some support to this poster, in a similiar situation to your own: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=679350

Congrats, reidmike. Here's hoping one of those great interviews will translate into an acceptance. It only takes one!

Thanks Stratego and all the others who have responded! I think the interviews have gone well, but how can you really tell? For those of you who have been accepted, did you have a feeling you were going to be accepted after the interview? For example, at one school I interviewed at the interviewer was the assistant dean. At the end of the interview he told me that I could quote him that he really thought I was a great fit for the school. On another interview the interviewer said I gave great answers and he was agreeing with me a lot. I want to get my hopes up, but I have heard many stories of people with great interviews being waitlisted/rejected and people with terrible interviews being accepted. I know there is absolutely no way of knowing until you are informed of the decision, but I just wanted to see how you all thought your interviews went at the schools you were accepted to. Thanks again for all of your help!!

Hey mike, I think your feelings are on target. Of course, we never really know how they pan out but here are my stories.

At one school, I interviewed with the assistant dean, and at the end of the interview, he told me he hopes to see me there ( similar to your interviewer telling you you would be a great fit there), 2 weeks later= accepted.

Another one told me at the end of our interview that he wished we had more time to chat about my research/travels, a week later= accepted.

So I think if a interviewer responds well, you should have a VERY good shot.

Good luck, I am pulling for ya!!!

Thanks Stratego and all the others who have responded! I think the interviews have gone well, but how can you really tell? For those of you who have been accepted, did you have a feeling you were going to be accepted after the interview? For example, at one school I interviewed at the interviewer was the assistant dean. At the end of the interview he told me that I could quote him that he really thought I was a great fit for the school. On another interview the interviewer said I gave great answers and he was agreeing with me a lot. I want to get my hopes up, but I have heard many stories of people with great interviews being waitlisted/rejected and people with terrible interviews being accepted. I know there is absolutely no way of knowing until you are informed of the decision, but I just wanted to see how you all thought your interviews went at the schools you were accepted to. Thanks again for all of your help!!

Congrats on the interviews! You never know how this process can turn out, but I feel your chances will be good.:)

As to whether or not a good interview can lead to acceptance, I think it can vary depending on the school. At some schools, you may have a 40/60 chance, but at others, it may be a 1/10 chance.

I never get the feeling that I will be accepted after an interview because I always I always feel somewhat uncertain. I can over analyze situations. The interview might have went well, but I probably did some stupid thing or said something incorrectly and not know it. Then again I have only been to two of my interviews so far.
I got accepted to one and haven't heard back from the other one yet.

I hope you hear from Florida schools soon, such as FSU and USF. You might hear back from them in the Spring. Do not lose hope.:thumbup:
Since you are attending my Alma Mater, is it weird that I can predict what some of your activities were like?:smuggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement you all and congrats on all of your acceptances...the waiting period is definitely a killer for me because I'm the type of person who dwells on small things, unfortunately. This process has been a significant character builder for me lol. I also have sent letters of interest/updates to the schools I have interviewed at so maybe that will make me stand out a bit. Who knows though. The school that I had the interview with the assistant dean doesn't start making decision until January, so it's been a long wait since September!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the interviews! You never know how this process can turn out, but I feel your chances will be good.

As to whether or not a good interview can lead to acceptance, I think it can vary depending on the school. At some schools, you may have a 40/60 chance, but at others, it may be a 1/10 chance.

I hope you hear from Florida schools soon, such as FSU and USF. You might hear back from them in the Spring. Do not lose hope.:thumbup:
Since you are attending my Alma Mater, is it weird that I can predict what some of your activities entail?:smuggrin:

Haha...yeah you would know for sure...I am also surprised I haven't heard from more FL schools. Like I said before, I got an invite from UCF (which was awesome btw) which is really selective, but nothing from FSU which tends to place less of an emphasis on stats. Plus, I pretty much tailored my essays to emphasize that I am interested in primary care, so yeah it's a bit strange...oh well lol.

FSU is a bit strange because being complete early does not necessarily mean an earlier interview. Don't fret. I think FSU only interviews about 4 people at each session. That is pretty small compared to other schools, I think.

Congrats on interviewing at UCF!

Hang in there!:thumbup:
Once again, I am cheering you on!

FSU is a bit strange because being complete early does not necessarily mean an earlier interview. Don't fret. I think FSU only interviews about 4 people at each session. That is pretty small compared to other schools, I think.

Congrats on interviewing at UCF!

Hang in there!:thumbup:
Once again, I am cheering you on!

I appreciate it! Yeah maybe they will come through in the Spring...Do schools send out invites during winter break or do the adcoms take a break from invites until after New Years?

Hey reidmike, I have that EXACT same feeling. I have a sub-3.5 gpa and an average MCAT score.....

I'm just like you, I've gotten five interviews (which again is more than I could ever imagine). But part of me (actually a lot of me) feels that I will get rejected at all of them.

Do you get the feeling that sometimes schools will interview people with "meh" stats, but when it comes to acceptance, they will opt out? I just think that getting an acceptance is the BIG HURDLE. B/c they make think you are "good enough" to interview, but when comparing you to all the other interviewees they will be like why? This person has a low this or that. I'm just praying to god that one school will take me.

And to the post above, 5 interviews and no acceptance doesn't necessarily have to do with interview skills.....Once you interview, that is just a small part of the overall score. Therefore your stats still matter AFTER the interview as well and that's where my gpa problem comes in....

Let's wish for the best reidmike!

im so jealous of you reidmike ;)

Haha! Why is that?
Hey reidmike, I have that EXACT same feeling. I have a sub-3.5 gpa and an average MCAT score.....

I'm just like you, I've gotten five interviews (which again is more than I could ever imagine). But part of me (actually a lot of me) feels that I will get rejected at all of them.

Do you get the feeling that sometimes schools will interview people with "meh" stats, but when it comes to acceptance, they will opt out? I just think that getting an acceptance is the BIG HURDLE. B/c they make think you are "good enough" to interview, but when comparing you to all the other interviewees they will be like why? This person has a low this or that. I'm just praying to god that one school will take me.

And to the post above, 5 interviews and no acceptance doesn't necessarily have to do with interview skills.....Once you interview, that is just a small part of the overall score. Therefore your stats still matter AFTER the interview as well and that's where my gpa problem comes in....

Let's wish for the best reidmike!

Yeah I know exactly what you mean...it is easy to become really paranoid when your stats are borderline (such as my MCAT score). I am just focusing on preparing for interviews like it is my only one b/c that's all I can do at this point. Though some people say once you get to the interview stage they like you on paper, I still have doubts about whether they have enough faith in me to pass the boards :( Sometimes I wonder why they have this issue b/c I mean we technically passed the MCAT so I don't think we would have a problem passing the boards. Maybe they just feel like they want as high scores as possible...idk know though.

naw. my interviews were mostly fine. but nobody has said, we would love u at this school to me yet. =) i hope at my last interview they would say that!

naw. my interviews were mostly fine. but nobody has said, we would love u at this school to me yet. =) i hope at my last interview they would say that!

Lol...well we will see if the comment I got really even matters at all.

Yeah - my number analysis has convinced me you should get 1 acceptance for every 3 interviews minimum (statistically speaking).

I really hope this is true. :) I'm in a similar boat with 5 interviews so far but with a below average GPA. I'd love to be accepted to any of the schools I've been offered interviews with.

my numbers are 9 interviews, 70% acceptance... :( nowhere close to the 1:3.

I am glad that I got accepted from the only interview I had....

But I wish I got more interviews...

All I got other than one acceptance are three rejects without interviews....

The main thing is that you are going to be a doctor! Whether you had one or ten acceptances, you are going to have the opportunity to see your passion to fruition! Great job!

Be happy. :) Colorado is a great school. I would love to even get an interview there. Unfortunately though I think I've been snubbed. :p

WOW you are really doing good. I think you will get accepted to one of these schools and you will get more invites. Most likely from FSU. Your mcat is right around their average and you are interested in primary care. Which makes you a nice fit for that school.

WOW you are really doing good. I think you will get accepted to one of these schools and you will get more invites. Most likely from FSU. Your mcat is right around their average and you are interested in primary care. Which makes you a nice fit for that school.

Thanks! Yeah, like I said before, I thought I would have heard something from FSU by now since I seem to match up pretty well with that school.

For those of you doubting out there......

My stats: 29N/3.6overall/good ECs/WA res.

8 interview invitations so far, 3 completed---ACCEPTANCE 11/15.

Aaaaand, the Most Annoying Poster Award goes to....drumroll please...BANNIE!

hahah thats so cute. i just realized that the icon turned out all wrong. looolz.

hahaha instead of the icon smoking a joint it was supp to be

:D :D :D :D :D

what is your secret?

Great Job!

You bring great inspiration to those with sub 30 MCAT scores!:thumbup:

Congratulation !!! I hope you are not URM.

^good point. if u were URM. it would be pointless.

Let's not derail the purpose of this thread, guys.

Dude I am in almost the same boat with public TX schools. I got 4 interviews relatively early in the season. The ones at Tech were easily my worst ones. I also interviewed at UT-Houston right after that where I felt the first interview went well and then the second guy actually talked way over time with me and ended the interview by saying "I think you will make a great fit here". Also interviewed at UT-San Antonio and Texas A&M-COM, thought they went alright. In Texas, there is a pre-match before the actual match Feb 1, and I got nothing from a single school.... :( I don't know what the deal is or if they are making me suffer until the match day in Feb

Just got back from my Creighton interview...very impressed with the school, faculty, and students. Very relaxed atmosphere which is important to me. I have a feeling that I won't be getting anymore interview invites since I was complete (at the latest) in August at the rest of the 15 schools that I haven't heard from. I guess I will just have to hope that I will get into one out of the five. Is it common to be complete at schools for 6 months or more and then get an invite in the Spring?

Maybe not common, but it happens. I recall another poster got an interview invite in May when the actual season usually ends in April-ish.