5-Minute Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Consult

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyric

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody bought or looked through the 5-Minute Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Consult book? If so, what did you think of it? I am trying to find a book I like to help with learning the OMT techniques. I can't seem to find any reviews anywhere because of how new the book is.

*Thanks*

Members don't see this ad.

I havent seen that one. My OMM course uses: Atlas of Osteopathic Techniques (Nicholas and Nicholas).

It is pretty straight forward and techniques are broken down pretty well in my opinion.

Granted I haven't done anything TOO indepth just yet, but just from browsing the text this is what i've noticed.

Hey there,

I was able to thumb through it at a recent osteopathic convention here in Oregon and really liked it. Our OMT professor also brought his in and was really pleased with the way it was organized.
It has position pictures, an easy to thumb through style and is tiny enough to fit in your coat pocket.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's good for an overview, but if you're looking for it as a teaching source, you'll find it lacking in specifics such as FPR, still's technique, BLT, etc. Really fabulous pictures of most HVLA techniques, chapman's points, and specific tests. Overall, I like it for 3rd/4th year, but I don't think it's complete enough for 1st/2nd year. It's also geared more for 3rd/4th year, gives treatment options for when you only have 2 minutes to treat, 5 minutes to treat, or longer.

Is the book organized around type of complaint with recommended treatments? Anyone know what classes of technique are included (anyone counterstrain in particular)? I just started my Family practice rotations and I could use something to carry in my pocket. We saw non-stop musculoskeletal complaints the first day and I was like "Oh crap, I'm going to have to pay more attention in OMM...this stuff comes up all the time!"

Yes. Complaint or area to be treated and recommended treatments based on how much time you have. There are some counterstrain points illustrated in the back as well. For rotations, I think it would be a very good reference that you could fit in your pocket.

Thanks for the great advice!

the authors are professors at UMDNJ-SOM, fantastic teachers by the way