5 months from degree in CS, what should I do from this moment forward now that I want to be a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indecide

Reaction score
I am 23 years old from the US, I have about 1 semester more until I graduate with my degree in Computer Science. I decided that CS just isn't for me and I want to be a dentist.

Here is a little bit of my background, I would sometimes shadow my uncle that had his own practice when I was younger and really enjoyed the work he did. I currently run my own mobile mechanic business as well as work as a carpenter on the side and love helping individuals with their problems and seeing their satisfaction afterwards. Ever since I was younger I always wanted to be a dentist, but was discouraged since I never had the greatest teeth growing up. Now that I'm older I wish I picked a program that lead into the medical field.

Educational background: I have a low GPA of 2.8, prereqs I've taken so far including their marks are,:
Taken:
Gen Chem1 C+
English 8 Credits A-
Physics 1 B-
Physics 2 A-

Needed:
Gen Chem2 With Lab
Organic Chem1
Organic Chem2
Biology1
Biology2

From this moment foreword what should I do to increase my chances to get into a dental school? My sole purpose in life right now is to become a dentist.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am 23 years old from the US, I have about 1 semester more until I graduate with my degree in Computer Science. I decided that CS just isn't for me and I want to be a dentist.

Here is a little bit of my background, I would sometimes shadow my uncle that had his own practice when I was younger and really enjoyed the work he did. I currently run my own mobile mechanic business as well as work as a carpenter on the side and love helping individuals with their problems and seeing their satisfaction afterwards. Ever since I was younger I always wanted to be a dentist, but was discouraged since I never had the greatest teeth growing up. Now that I'm older I wish I picked a program that lead into the medical field.

Educational background: I have a low GPA of 2.8, prereqs I've taken so far including their marks are,:
Taken:
Gen Chem1 C+
English 8 Credits A-
Physics 1 B-
Physics 2 A-

Needed:
Gen Chem2 With Lab
Organic Chem1
Organic Chem2
Biology1
Biology2

From this moment foreword what should I do to increase my chances to get into a dental school? My sole purpose in life right now is to become a dentist.
Thank you

If I were you, I’d finish your CS degree while completing the pre-requisite courses you have left. Then I would do a masters program in biology / biomedical sciences / or other health related but science based degree to raise your gpa and show improvement.

Continue to shadow and gain dental experience. Find somewhere to consistently volunteer. Study hard for the DAT because a good score can help balance out a lower gpa. Write a good, genuine personal statement, and have good letters of recommendation. Lastly, do a lot of research on the schools you want to apply to in order to save money. You don’t want to apply to schools that won’t even consider you.

I know it sounds like a long road ahead, but if dentistry is truly what you want to do, then I believe this is the way to get you there. However, I am only one person with an opinion so do what you think is best for you.

Reactions: 1 users
If I were you, I’d finish your CS degree while completing the pre-requisite courses you have left. Then I would do a masters program in biology / biomedical sciences / or other health related but science based degree to raise your gpa and show improvement.

Continue to shadow and gain dental experience. Find somewhere to consistently volunteer. Study hard for the DAT because a good score can help balance out a lower gpa. Write a good, genuine personal statement, and have good letters of recommendation. Lastly, do a lot of research on the schools you want to apply to in order to save money. You don’t want to apply to schools that won’t even consider you.

I know it sounds like a long road ahead, but if dentistry is truly what you want to do, then I believe this is the way to get you there. However, I am only one person with an opinion so do what you think is best for you.
Would it be a bad idea to finish my degree then finish the courses needed after?

Members don't see this ad :)
No. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea. Might take more time though, if that’s important to you. As long as you complete all of the pre-requisites, I don’t think it matters when you do it.

Would it be a bad idea to finish my degree then finish the courses needed after?

Finishing your CS degree then pursuing the pre-reqs after graduation also works. I had friends that ended up doing post-bacc programs/taking all their pre-reqs after graduating and it worked out well. This may work in your favor too since you could focus on the pre-reqs and not be spread thin by your CS classes.