Medical 5 More Tips To Help You Become A Physician’s Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
world-health-day-background_zJS7I5vO-11-300x300.png

If you missed the first 5 tips, check them out here.

1. Double check deadlines and track your progress in a spreadsheet: Create an excel spreadsheet to give yourself a big picture of the application timeline. List each school and its individual deadline, as well as the dates that you submit materials and interview. This approach will ensure that you don’t get lost in the excitement and details of the application process.

2. Emphasize your ability to collaborate and work in teams through your activities/essays: As a PA, you will be expected to serve as a powerful member of a healthcare team. Demonstrating your ability to successfully collaborate with others will give your application an edge.

3. Gain direct exposure to the field by volunteering or working with a PA: In order to convince the selection committee that you know what you are getting yourself into, get experience working directly with a PA. The more that you can showcase your knowledge of the field and how you will excel within this particular role the stronger your application will be.

4. Since CASPA does not notify you that materials are missing from your application, be proactive and contact them directly to confirm that all materials have been received: Most applicants don’t realize that CASPA does not notify them if materials are missing. Submit materials early and call/email to confirm that all materials have been received. Advocate for yourself! This is too important to let slide.

5. Participate in mock interviews to prepare for your PA interviews: One of my clients last year completed six mock interviews with me because English was her second language and she wanted to practice to improve her confidence. She gave an amazing interview and was accepted into the program. It’s no accident that she did well, because she put all her effort into the preparation.

If you focus on the aspects of the application that you have control over, as outlined above, you will improve your chances of success. When it comes to the parts of the application that you have no control over, you can be more relaxed because you’ve done your best on the rest.

Be thoughtful with your essays and words and carefully explain your background and reasons for applying. For assistance in these areas, contact me or my colleagues at accepted.com.

Alicia McNease Nimonkar is an Accepted.com advisor and editor specializing in healthcare admissions. Prior to joining Accepted, Alicia worked for five years as Student Advisor at UC Davis’ postbac program where she both evaluated applications and advised students applying successfully to med school and related programs.

Related Resources:

The Quick Guide to Admissions Resume
Exploring Yale’s Top-Rated Physician Assistance Program
Where MedEd & Leadership Meet: An Inside Look at AMSA

Members don't see this ad.