• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!

maximus0723

10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

I am currently a PA with close to six years of experience as a PA. I am looking to be an MD. Prefer the MD route drastically over DO because I want to travel in foreign countries (this is big deal and tbh the strongest factor in choosing MD).

I am looking to apply for Fall 2022. I need a timeline of how I should pursue this. I need to take MCAT, BioChem, Physics II and 1x English. I have taken intermediate writing (WRT 102) at my college. I believe this should satisfy one English requirement. Obviously, I need to take two for most colleges.

Time is limited and I am starting further than most. How and when should I approach the above four tasks?
Should I take the MCAT first in May then take my classes or should I take two classes in spring, take the MCAT in August and take the second class in summer? Take MCAT and one other class by summer and take two other classes in fall? Or something else?

Lastly, what type of English/Writing class should I take? Are schools particular about this? what is accepted in most schools? I am not looking to go to a high end/high stat school because I won't be. But certainly looking to go to US MD school.
Thank you

Darth Doc

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Biochem is needed for the MCAT. Physics will also help. I'd do those, give yourself time to study for the MCAT, then take the MCAT in August. I decided in May to apply to medical school, took the MCAT in early September, and got into a medical school. So a later MCAT won't prevent you from getting interviews. What type of English/Writing? - I have no idea if that even matters.

I was also a PA first. Finishing residency June of this year. It's a long road, but you'll learn a lot. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

maximus0723

10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Biochem is needed for the MCAT. Physics will also help. I'd do those, give yourself time to study for the MCAT, then take the MCAT in August. I decided in May to apply to medical school, took the MCAT in early September, and got into a medical school. So a later MCAT won't prevent you from getting interviews. What type of English/Writing? - I have no idea if that even matters.

I was also a PA first. Finishing residency June of this year. It's a long road, but you'll learn a lot. Good luck!
*Fist pump to another fellow PA*
Happy to talk to one

I have taken Physics II and BioChem before but just have bad grades C and C- respectively. I believe my knowledge is still strong in those subjects, so I am not too worried about MCAT but I know they will help me tremendously.

In regards to the English/Writing class, I am trying to state that I have to take a writing class previously (Writing 102 named Intermediate Writing) but that is my only English/Writing class. I have seen multiple schools require 6 credits or 2x classes or English/Writing, so I don't know when I should take my second English/Writing class. Take in Spring 2021, Summer 2021 or Fall 2021?

About the Ads

la flame

2+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
you really need Biochem for the MCAT. If I were you, I would sign up to take Biochem + Physics 2 ASAP for this semester then focus on the MCAT from May-August...........maybe even longer man idk the MCAT is a beast and I'm guessing you haven't any Organic Chemistry in years lol......but if your practice AAMC FL exams are not your desired score, just postpone your exam since those exams are pretty accurate for the real thing. As for your english class, I would mass email all your interested schools to see if your previous English class would satisfy at least 1 of the English credits. Regardless, I would take whatever English classes you have left AFTER your mcat.....you don't need ALL your prereqs completed before applying, only matriculating.

You also need LORs! Watch out bc as a non-trad registered nurse, this stopped me from applying to alot of schools that required 2+ science professor letters. I applied last cycle and was planning on building relationships until COVID happened so I didn't really engage as much as I should have with my professors. Because of that, I was only able to snag 1 LOR from a science professor but there was quite a few MD/DO schools that required at least 2 science professors no exemptions. Goodluck with your journey man

Reactions: 1 users

maximus0723

10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
you really need Biochem for the MCAT. If I were you, I would sign up to take Biochem + Physics 2 ASAP for this semester then focus on the MCAT from May-August...........maybe even longer man idk the MCAT is a beast and I'm guessing you haven't any Organic Chemistry in years lol......but if your practice AAMC FL exams are not your desired score, just postpone your exam since those exams are pretty accurate for the real thing. As for your english class, I would mass email all your interested schools to see if your previous English class would satisfy at least 1 of the English credits. Regardless, I would take whatever English classes you have left AFTER your mcat.....you don't need ALL your prereqs completed before applying, only matriculating.

You also need LORs! Watch out bc as a non-trad registered nurse, this stopped me from applying to alot of schools that required 2+ science professor letters. I applied last cycle and was planning on building relationships until COVID happened so I didn't really engage as much as I should have with my professors. Because of that, I was only able to snag 1 LOR from a science professor but there was quite a few MD/DO schools that required at least 2 science professors no exemptions. Goodluck with your journey man
Thanks man. Your response is very helpful.

About LOR, you are right. Thankfully, I have been close to my science professor from my Master's and PA professor from PA school. Those two should suffice as science letters. As expected I also have MD LORs when need be. All MDs have been very supportive and have known me very well.

BTW, hope you guys sign Dak. He is a good guy and a good QB.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.