50-50 Male to Female? ??!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bu_dentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how come 70% of applicants are male, but some schools are trying to get a 50-50 balanced class....how is that fair for guys??? my brother is applying right now and its just plain unfair!

Members don't see this ad.

i guess life is just unfair.
Q: Why is that women CEOs don't make as much money as males do?
A: Because life is not fair

boilermaker05 said:
i guess life is just unfair.
Q: Why is that women CEOs don't make as much money as males do?
A: Because life is not fair

Yea but bear in mind of the top five hundred fortune 500 companies, only 9 CEOs are women...not 250~!

Members don't see this ad :)
bu_dentist said:
how come 70% of applicants are male, but some schools are trying to get a 50-50 balanced class....how is that fair for guys??? my brother is applying right now and its just plain unfair!

UCLA does that and I think it's fair for males. Why? UCSF doesn't try to get a 50-50 balanced class and its ratio is 65%(female):35%(male). I think 50% (f): 50% (m) is better than 65% (f):35%(m)

There is an excellent thread on the dental forum that explains this. According to the thread, because women dentists work more part time, and retire earlier the demand for the dentists increases which translates to more money and less competing dentists, sounds good to me as a male I would prefer more females in my class! :thumbup:

dat_student said:
UCLA does that and I think it's fair for males. Why? UCSF doesn't try to get a 50-50 balanced class and its ratio is 65%(female):35%(male). I think 50% (f): 50% (m) is better than 65% (f):35%(m)

to really be able to make a judment here on what is "fair" as far as acceptance goes (and this applies to gender, sex, race etc.) you would have to look at everyones's applications including intangibles like life experience. Just because a larger percentage of females gets in doesn't mean that it was un fair. It could just be they were mroe qualified than the males they beat out.

Of course, this is UCSF we are talking about. Obviously they want to stand out as being more progressive/liberal.

70% of applicants are male? I thought the ratio of applicants is closer to 1:1, male:female

TimR said:
...because a larger percentage of females gets in doesn't mean that it was un fair. It could just be they were mroe qualified than the males they beat out...

I agree with you 100%. I was trying to point out that female applicants are not necessarily less competitive. The OP thought if some schools didn't try to get a 50-50 balanced class we would have 70% (male): 30% (female) acceptace rate. I used the UCSF example to point out that in many cases female applicants are more competitive and that without the 50:50 ratio males are not necessarily better off.

yeah, and not every school has more males applying than females either-- at least not the statistics that I saw

sopink said:
yeah, and not every school has more males applying than females either-- at least not the statistics that I saw

and what were those statistics you saw? I'd be curious to know which schools has more females apply...seriously

When I interviewed at Harvard, I was told that more men applied to Harvard than women, but in the end, Harvard ended up taking more women because women are more qualified.

of course....im pretty sure you are all women responding so i am not surprised...pretty typical of dental girls

wierd cuz at my UMDNJ interview of about 20 people... 15 were girls.. 5 were guys.