1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

50-50 Male to Female? ??!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by bu_dentist, Nov 29, 2005.

1. bu_dentist

bu_dentist Junior Member

how come 70% of applicants are male, but some schools are trying to get a 50-50 balanced class....how is that fair for guys??? my brother is applying right now and its just plain unfair!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. boilermaker05

boilermaker05 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i guess life is just unfair.
    Q: Why is that women CEOs don't make as much money as males do?
    A: Because life is not fair

4. bu_dentist

bu_dentist Junior Member

Yea but bear in mind of the top five hundred fortune 500 companies, only 9 CEOs are women...not 250~!

5. dat_student

dat_student Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

UCLA does that and I think it's fair for males. Why? UCSF doesn't try to get a 50-50 balanced class and its ratio is 65%(female):35%(male). I think 50% (f): 50% (m) is better than 65% (f):35%(m)

6. bkwash

bkwash Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    There is an excellent thread on the dental forum that explains this. According to the thread, because women dentists work more part time, and retire earlier the demand for the dentists increases which translates to more money and less competing dentists, sounds good to me as a male I would prefer more females in my class! :thumbup:

7. TimR

TimR Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

to really be able to make a judment here on what is "fair" as far as acceptance goes (and this applies to gender, sex, race etc.) you would have to look at everyones's applications including intangibles like life experience. Just because a larger percentage of females gets in doesn't mean that it was un fair. It could just be they were mroe qualified than the males they beat out.

Of course, this is UCSF we are talking about. Obviously they want to stand out as being more progressive/liberal.

8. LadyxJC

LadyxJC Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

70% of applicants are male? I thought the ratio of applicants is closer to 1:1, male:female

9. dat_student

dat_student Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I agree with you 100%. I was trying to point out that female applicants are not necessarily less competitive. The OP thought if some schools didn't try to get a 50-50 balanced class we would have 70% (male): 30% (female) acceptace rate. I used the UCSF example to point out that in many cases female applicants are more competitive and that without the 50:50 ratio males are not necessarily better off.

10. sopink

sopink Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yeah, and not every school has more males applying than females either-- at least not the statistics that I saw

11. anti_dentite10

anti_dentite10 New Member

Dental Student

and what were those statistics you saw? I'd be curious to know which schools has more females apply...seriously

12. miravyn

miravyn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    When I interviewed at Harvard, I was told that more men applied to Harvard than women, but in the end, Harvard ended up taking more women because women are more qualified.

13. bu_dentist

bu_dentist Junior Member

of course....im pretty sure you are all women responding so i am not surprised...pretty typical of dental girls

14. dentwannabe

dentwannabe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

wierd cuz at my UMDNJ interview of about 20 people... 15 were girls.. 5 were guys.