500 On Practice Exam...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgracyalny

Reaction score
I just switched from pre-vet to pre-med, so I'm still getting acquainted with the MCAT and process of applying to medical school. I plan on taking it next spring/summer to apply fall 2020. I just took my first practice MCAT cold (no studying or prep) and scored a 500. I scored 123 on both C/P and B/B, 126 on CARS, and 128 on psych. I have not taken any physics or biochemistry courses yet (will take this fall).

My questions are: Is this score decent for a first try? I know it is only 50th percentile and to get into better programs I'll need a much better score. Will I be able to significantly improve it after taking physics/biochem and studying? When is the best time to take the MCAT? How long do people typically need to study beforehand? I am confident I can improve my CARS score with a bit of practice (I'm good at reading comprehension), but am more worried about the C/P and B/B sections.

Sorry if this isn't crystal clear, just looking for opinions on where I stand right now after changing my career path.

For reference for what score I might need for applications, I have a 3.9 GPA, several hundred research hours, lots of volunteer hours, no shadowing hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, let’s take this point by point

Is this score decent for a first try?
Yes, with absolutely no acclimation to MCAT question styles and no phys/Biochem this is a great place to be almost a year out from the exam. May I ask, was this an AAMC full length or a third party exam?
I know it is only 50th percentile
Don’t say ‘only 50th’ this means that fresh off the bLock with no pre-MED prep you did better than 50 percent of people who take the real deal! You are just fine for a starting point. I just recently had a friend in 2 months go from a 492 to a 509 real deal.
significantly improve it after taking physics/biochem and studying?
Yes. You have the potential to reach high up up up the stairs.
When is the best time to take the MCAT?
Best time to take the MCAT is before the end of April so you will get it back before day 1 submit so you can have a school list ready to go.
How long do people typically need to study beforehand?
Typically? Well, unfortunately for most premeds and fortunately for you - your competition is still predominantly a bunch of college students who still don’t know how to study for a college exam let alone an MCAT. Most people study for around a month. Most people SHOULD study for 3 months. Some people ( myself included) studies for 6 months. Even fewer (and I would say in an excessive amount) spend a full year. Don’t get scared by that. 3 months of 3 hours a day 5 days a week should be enough to improve substantially. If you want to roll a little slower, here is my 6 month study schedule.

Helped go from 510 to a 521 in three months (I had taken all of the prereqs, done practice questions, self taught Biochem and Cell bio before taking the first practice test, so I was higher on the baseline)
I am confident I can improve my CARS score with a bit of practice (I'm good at reading comprehension), but am more worried about the C/P and B/B sections.
To improve CARS you have the right idea: Literally just read books. Read opinion pieces from the NYT. Read the online NPR journals (NPR Covers all topics and they are the style passage you may see).

For your B/B 80% of that is science comprehension. I would recommend buying an annual subscription to the NEJM ($50) and just read a few articles (or the whole thing if you want) a week in order to boost your ability to ‘read science.’ This is what I did and what I credit with increasing my scientific literacy. For C/P...meh, just learn the concepts. Very little ‘analysis’ with C/P.
no shadowing hours.
Get some. Contact rural hospitals and clinics that are not associated with a larger health system. They should gladly help you.
just switched from pre-vet to pre-med
why the switch, may I ask?

Reactions: 2 users