Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

5000-word speech

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ysk1, May 25, 2008.

1. ysk1

ysk1 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    In one week I have to do a 5000-word presentation for my research project lasting about 15-30 minutes.
    I haven't yet written out my script.
    I'm soooooo scared. Any tips on efficient preparation and memorizing such long things to say?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BluePhoenix

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    I've never heard of giving a presentation with a word limit. Rather than focusing on that, maybe just focus on the time it's supposed to go for and then make an outline of what you want to talk about. Don't worry about memorizing it, just know your outline and prepare what you want to say. If you know your research well enough, you shouldn't have a problem. Unless you're really good at memorizing, it's really not worth it to spend a huge amount of time memorizing it word for word, just focus on knowing what you're going to say and getting it out in approximately the right amount of time.

4. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I had to teach a class as part of my final for modern physics. If you have visuals to work with, life gets a lot easier because you can break the memorization up according to the slides. I'm a very comfortable, casual speaker, so I can get by with some rough skeleton notes. I think I had roughly a page's worth of bulleted speaker's notes.

5. Cegar

7+ Year Member

That's easy.

You only need five pictures.

6. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    First of all, don't do a script and attempt to memorize it. You will come off as a poor speaker. As others have said, outline what you want to say and then make a list of the points (bulleted) that you want to be sure to cover.

The best thing about presenting your own research is that you know more about it than anyone in the audience and that gives you a huge advantage.

Most good research presentations have the following:

• An Introduction that puts your research into perspective or presents your hypothesis. [5 minutes or less]
    • An explanation of your materials and methods [5 minutes]
    • Your results (Graphic display is good) [10 minutes]
    • The importance of your results and how they support or do not support your hypothesis. [5-7 minutes with 3 left for questions]

Your results slide(s) is/are going to be your main focus of your talk so make sure that anyone looking at this/these slide(s) can draw the proper conclusions.

Don't read your slides or make them too busy and leave plenty of time to answer questions. Also, don't use some "cutesy" design template for this presentation. Use the "blank" template with a dark blue or black background and no clip art.

Practice a couple of times so that you know your material and you should be fine.

7. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I hope that I can be of some service. I was on the speech and debate team in college, taught a few classes, and even did stand-up comedy while in medical school. Your results might vary, but there are several ways to give a speech.

1. Aristotle's method: think of the speech as a house. For example, whenever you approach a house, the first thing you see is the welcome mat. Therefore, you should open your speech by "welcoming" the audience. Next, you open the door and see the playroom, meaning that you're going to begin talking about sports. And on down the line. Some people have even tried drawing out houses, complete with chimneys and backyards, to help them with memorizing their speeches.

2. The outline. Some people will create an outline of text, similar to what was suggested above. You memorize the main ideas and their sub points. This method is great for extemporaneous speaking. The only thing you need to get right is the timing and flow of information. If done properly, the result is a free-flowing conversation with the audience. However, you'll need some practice before attempting this method. Many people tend to forget what comes next and then silence and "ummms" result.

3. The tape recorder. In this method, you write down your speech in full, read it to a tape recorder, and then played a tape recorder multiple times while reading your speech. The result is that you get a full assault of the senses with your. This is my preferred way of memorizing. However, like most things, you need to get used to the style. When I memorize his speech with this method, I only need to listen to the spoken words 4-5 times in order to memorize a 15 minute speech.

One thing that you haven't told us it is if you are allowed to use visual cues or notes. You also haven't told us what the topic is. Delivering a political speech much different than a science lecture.

8. copperfrog09

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is my all-time favorite response on SDN.

9. Cegar

7+ Year Member

Thank god someone saw that. I was fearing it would go unnoticed.