501 MCAT 3.39 cGPA 3.53 sGPA Veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabGuy0123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Non-traditional Arizona resident here, I am applying to all DO schools except for U of A Tucson and Phoenix (I know these are long shots). Just wanted to see which DO schools I would have a chance at. Also, if I were to retake the MCAT how many more points would I need to add to my score for it to make me competitive for low tier MD schools? For instance if I retook it and got a 504 would this even make a difference?

Stats
501 MCAT 3.39 cGPA 3.53 sGPA

EC
Former United States Marine Corps infantry team leader (enlisted non-commissioned officer) with combat deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. I should note the infantry is vastly differently from the rest of the military occupations. The infantry are the ones that are in combat situations.
400 volunteer hours with veterans organization mentoring recently discharged veterans
100 volunteer hours in the emergency room
30 hours shadowing
Full Ironman finisher
No research

Members don't see this ad.

Your veteran status will help you but you would be much more competitive even if your MCAT score was at least 505. You could try some low tier schools such as:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
You are competitive for many DO schools so apply broadly to at least 12 and you should receive several interviews. Schools where you are competitive with your stats include:
ATSU-SOMA
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
ARCOM (new school)
RVU-Utah (new school)
NYIT-Arkansas (new school)
UIW (new school-Texas)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the reply and list! I am going to sit on it for the weekend and decide on Monday whether or not to retake. I appreciate the input and it's good to know that a 4+ point increase would help out substantially.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Goro! Is there anything you would add to what Faha advised?