501 MCAT; 3.8 non science GPA; 3.4 science gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maiyamoon

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help.
I got my MCAT score back and its much lower than I was doing on practice exams so I need to re-evaluate my school options. I decided not to apply to MD programs so I can just focus on DO.
I am not sure what schools to apply to or if I even have a chance at getting into DO schools. I do have strong letters of rec from a DO doctor and some supervisors/professors. I also have done a lot of volunteering and some leadership roles and about 150 ish hours shadowing (both DO and MD). MCAT breakdown was 124/128/125/124 and GPA listed above.
Where should I apply? I really really could use some advice!!!

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

What you should do is retake the MCAT and apply MD. What were your practice scores?

Hey guys, I need some help.
I got my MCAT score back and its much lower than I was doing on practice exams so I need to re-evaluate my school options. I decided not to apply to MD programs so I can just focus on DO.
I am not sure what schools to apply to or if I even have a chance at getting into DO schools. I do have strong letters of rec from a DO doctor and some supervisors/professors. I also have done a lot of volunteering and some leadership roles and about 150 ish hours shadowing (both DO and MD). MCAT breakdown was 124/128/125/124 and GPA listed above.
Where should I apply? I really really could use some advice!!!

Thank you so much!

If you’re gunning for the MD, retake is advisable. Casting a wide net with DO schools, someone will grab you. Stay away from stat slores like AZCOM and CCOM. You’ll be ok to get in at some DO schools if you choose to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re gunning for the MD, retake is advisable. Casting a wide net with DO schools, someone will grab you. Stay away from stat slores like AZCOM and CCOM. You’ll be ok to get in at some DO schools if you choose to apply.
Thank you!!

What you should do is retake the MCAT and apply MD. What were your practice scores?
My practice scores were 506-507 so I was pretty upset that my actual score came out so far below that. I want to apply for the 2019 cycle so I wanted to avoid retaking and see if I could do DO. I preferred DO over MD in the first place so I don't mind ruling MD out.

My practice scores were 506-507 so I was pretty upset that my actual score came out so far below that. I want to apply for the 2019 cycle so I wanted to avoid retaking and see if I could do DO. I preferred DO over MD in the first place so I don't mind ruling MD out.

Don't buy into the nonsense that the osteopathic propaganda machine keeps throwing at pre-meds to get them to apply.

506-507 may get you into your state school(s), not sure about much else. Your GPA is pretty good. You could try studying again and see what happens while you apply DO.

Don't buy into the nonsense that the osteopathic propaganda machine keeps throwing at pre-meds to get them to apply.

506-507 may get you into your state school(s), not sure about much else. Your GPA is pretty good. You could try studying again and see what happens while you apply DO.

Why the dislike for the osteopathic path?

It is a massive gamble to take another year off and retake the MCAT imo. What if you get the same score? Worse, what if you get an even lower score? Apply broadly to DO this year and you should be fine. At the end of the day it'll be an extra year you get to be a doctor. Unless you are dead set on something like derm or neurosurg in which case ignore this post.

It'll be hard for MD with a 3.4 sgpa and a 506 MCAT though even with in-state schools. There's nothing wrong with the DO path as long OP is not gunning for uber competitive specialties.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

It'll be hard for MD with a 3.4 sgpa and a 506 MCAT though even with in-state schools.

I agree. That's why I specifically said he can try to retake and see what happens while applying to DO schools. I'm guessing his cumulative GPA is around 3.6+. If he studies again and retakes the MCAT and gets a good score (better than what he was practicing at last time), he can apply MD.

I'm not familiar with a stat slore. Is that a typo or a term? What does it mean, please? :)