502 Next Step Diagnostic MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reaction mechanisms

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a diagnostic test through NS and scored a 502.

1. I’ll be taking the MCAT this summer.

2. I have not taken Biochem, Physics II, or Microbio (will be taking all three this semester).

3. I have not started content review or any sort of hard test prep. I just wanted to take a diagnostic test to see where I stand.

Questions:

Is this a decent score given the circumstances?

Am I realistic to set my goal at 515 minimum? Is it feasible to improve from 502 to 515 by this summer?

How reliable is Next Step? I’m also planing on using Khan Academy, The Princeton Review, and of course the AAMC material.

Thanks in advance.

For reference: 3.9+ GPA

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

2. I have not taken Biochem, Physics II, or Microbio (will be taking all three this semester).

3. I have not started content review or any sort of hard test prep. I just wanted to take a diagnostic test to see where I stand.

Questions:

Am I realistic to set my goal at 515 minimum? Is it feasible to improve from 502 to 515 by this summer?

How reliable is Next Step? I’m also planing on using Khan Academy, The Princeton Review, and of course the AAMC material.

Thanks in advance.

I would say that it is certainly possible to improve to a 515, but I would not set a your minimum to a 515. Wait until closer to your test date (and until you've actually taken the courses you listed above) to try and predict your score. Practice tests taken 1-2 weeks before your test date are usually very close to what you will score. A high GPA isn't always indicative of a high MCAT score.

I think I got a 503 on the NS diagnostic before starting content review. Ended up with a 515. Third party test scores are typically very deflated, perhaps to scare students into buying unnecessary and expensive prep courses.

This is so reassuring. Thank you. How did you prepare for the MCAT?

I think I got a 503 on the NS diagnostic before starting content review. Ended up with a 515. Third party test scores are typically very deflated, perhaps to scare students into buying unnecessary and expensive prep courses.

That and also the Better Score Policy in which you either score 1 point higher on the real test than diagnostic exam or you get your money back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a Kaplan FL as a diagnostic for myself before I started studying, got a 498, set my goal at 510, wound up scoring a 519. It's definitely do-able if you put the work in. I also took a lot more FL practices along the way though, including the official ones, so I knew that I had improved a lot.

Reactions: 1 user

Questions:

Thanks in advance.

As someone mentioned above, I think a lot of these 3rd party exam grades are indeed deflated. Although not my experience, a friend of mine took the MCAT recently following numerous Exam Krackers practice exams. He was scoring low 500s on most of them. Prior to the actual exam, he took an AAMC practice exam and scored something like a 514. He then scored a 515 on the actual exam.

Take those 3rd party scores with a grain of salt.

Personally, I had a similar experience with Kaplan practice exams.

I would say if you scored a low 500 and hadn't even began prepping, your on course for an excellent score.

Good Luck!

Assuming the score is a valid predictor (debatable, but we will roll with it), you’re above the 50th percentile without studying or even finishing prerequisites. You’re in a good position, and remember that every test prep company is selling to you based on your insecurity and how much a good score means to you.

I used Kaplan books and just took notes on them and took 2 practice tests and scored 514. Know yourself and your learning style and stick to a plan, you’ll be golden!

I got a 505 on the NS diagnostic, then studied for 5 months using Exam Krackers & Khan Academy and got a 516 on the real thing. My scores on the AAMC practice tests were 509 and 510, and I took the second one just 3 days before the real thing, so I guess I was just really in the zone on exam day as compared to during practice exams.

502 is perfectly decent for 6 months out and no studying. I got 500 on my first practice test and 524 on the real thing.

Hopefully jumping in for some good luck. 498 on my NS diagnostic halfway through biochem and physics 2. Finished those courses and just finishing EK review. Hopefully I have made some ground with more to come by April. :p GL Lemons!

I got a 496 on my Kaplan diagnostic and scored a 522. You will be fine
Can you tell us more about how you studied? I scored a 496 on my NS Diagnostic? I really want to try to get over a 520. How did you study? What resources did you find most helpful? I took physics my freshman year so about 5 years ago. I do not remember much. What was the best resource for physics prep? Sorry about all the questions. Thank you in advance.

Can you tell us more about how you studied? I scored a 496 on my NS Diagnostic? I really want to try to get over a 520. How did you study? What resources did you find most helpful? I took physics my freshman year so about 5 years ago. I do not remember much. What was the best resource for physics prep? Sorry about all the questions. Thank you in advance.
FYI -- you're asking a question of someone whose post is two years old!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.