MD 504 MCAT 3.90 cGPA, similar sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hzp3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. After receiving my MCAT score yesterday, my plans were thrown into a bit of confusion. I am in the middle of MD applications and was expecting to do close to my AAMC practice test score of 511. Instead, I received a 504. I have been pondering whether to take the MCAT again in August before school starts or just continue with this score and hope for the best. Some information is below:

MCAT: 504

cGPA: 3.90

sGPA: should be around 3.89-3.90, although I am not certain at this time

Research: 1000+ hours of working in an immunology lab; senior thesis expected; name on a poster; expected inclusion in a future research paper for my contributions; received a competitive scholarship from my school to conduct a summer research project; experience teaching a high school volunteer new to the lab.

Leadership: executive board member in two clubs and one school-wide event.

Shadowing: ~240 hours of shadowing in a large-scale medical center as part of an extended program; mainly shadowed a gastroenterologist; observed multiple surgical procedures and clinic visits.

Extracurriculars: club-level soccer referee for 3 years and counting, volunteer at a weekly program for disabled young adults.

Work experience: administrative assistant for a department at my school for one year.

If there is anything I missed, let me know. Thanks again!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence and where did you apply to?
Florida is my state of residence. White/Hispanic male. List of schools (selected before my score was released) is as follows:

Drexel
Saint Louis University
FAU
FSU
GWU
Georgetown
Temple
FIU
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Albany Medical College
Virginia Commonwealth University
Sidney Kimmel (Thomas Jefferson University)
University of Miami
University of Vermont
Tulane
Creighton
University of Central Florida
University of Florida
University of Missouri - KC
University of Virginia
University of South Florida
Vanderbilt University

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive interviews at your Florida schools since you have a good GPA. You can remove Vanderbilt, U Virginia, Missouri, St. Louis since they are far reaches with your MCAT. It would be a good strategy to apply to several DO schools and you have 2 in Florida.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the response. I agree, the Florida schools are probably my best bet with these circumstances. I will look into future MCAT dates but continue with this cycle. I will look into D.O. options as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

We have the exact same stats and state of residency. I agree that an MCAT retake this late in the game is pointless for this cycle and could end up doing more harm than good. After talking with many people, I've decided to give it a go (submitted secondaries to all 6 FL schools and 5 other OOS) and hope for the best. If you don't get in this time around you can always retake the MCAT and apply again next cycle. Can't get in if you don't apply.