Jayswisher123

2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2018
Status
  1. Medical Student
Hey fellow sdn users,

I took my MCAT in July and got a 505 (126, 124,127,128)

Then I decided to retake cuz i wanted to do better and got another 505 :/ (129,122,127,127)

My C/P score increased but sadly, my CARS score decreased....

My question is how will schools view my CARS score knowing that it decreased, many schools have a 123 threshold for each section on the MCAT, and now I dont know what to expect... Someone with experience please help me out

About the Ads
Mar 14, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey fellow sdn users,

I took my MCAT in July and got a 505 (126, 124,127,128)

Then I decided to retake cuz i wanted to do better and got another 505 :/ (129,122,127,127)

My C/P score increased but sadly, my CARS score decreased....

My question is how will schools view my CARS score knowing that it decreased, many schools have a 123 threshold for each section on the MCAT, and now I dont know what to expect... Someone with experience please help me out
I'm not sure whether or not this is going to make you feel any better, but 122 isn't that far from 124 (a mere one point below the confidence band), and the 505 didn't change, so the bottom line is that you are probably in the exact same position you were before the retake, which is solid for DO and not so much for MD. Don't beat yourself up. You took your shot, and that score is not going to be the reason you cannot go to medical school.

Last edited:

GreenDuck12

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status
  1. Medical Student
Not going to lie, this is the single biggest mistake I would see with students is attempting a retake too quickly after a disappointing score. A 122 (22nd percentile) is quite different from a 124 (45th percentile). The danger isn’t so much in the new score but rather that it confirms the previous 505 as being the high water mark for you. It makes it harder to view a 3rd score, which hopefully improves, as being a real representation with your abilities. The 122 may trigger some auto screens depending on how each school’s systems handle multiple mcat scores.

What were your practice test scores before both attempts?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads