505 MCAT 3.9 sGPA 3.95cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeTheHappy1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
P/C: 127
V:128
B: 126
P/S: 124

GPA ~ 3.9
Service:
160 hours volunteering in various inner city organisations. Ranging from tutoring/mentoring to students, rebuilding condemned homes for elderly,,,
30 hours volunteering in hospital

Medical experience:
-3 years medical assistant (part time)
-Medical scribe this year (gap year)
-100 hours shadowing various specialities
-Study abroad medical course

Leadership
-2 years elected to student government association
-1 year headed a comic tee within organization
-Resident Assistant (RA) for one year

I come from disadvantaged background. But am not a URM so I don't know how much this will have an influence.

I submitted all my secondaries in September. I am well aware this is late. So I am just waiting right now. I haven't received any love so far. I'm going to start D.O apps at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where all did you apply? While the MCAT is low, 3.9/28 has gotten people into MD schools in the past, particularly if you are in a lucky state. A late app doesn't help, but what's done is done.

You're fine for pretty much any DO school.

A 28 is close to circling the drain for MD schools, and now it's too late in their cycle anyway. However, you're fine for ANY DO school, so start applying! Their cycle is longer.

P/C: 127
V:128
B: 126
P/S: 124

GPA ~ 3.9
Service:
160 hours volunteering in various inner city organisations. Ranging from tutoring/me to ring students, rebuilding condemned homes for elderly,,,
30 hours volunteering in hospital

Medical experience:
-3 years medical assistant (part time)
-Medical scribe this year (gap year)
-100 hours shadowing various specialities
-Study abroad medical course

Leadership
-2 years elected to student government association
-1 year headed a comic tee within organization
-Resident Assistant (RA) for one year

I come from disadvantaged background. But am not a URM so I don't know how much this will have an influence.

I submitted all my secondaries in September. I am well aware this is late. So I am just waiting aa of right now. I haven't received any love so far. I'm going to start D.O apps at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to a few premed advisor and they said the fact that I messed up in p/s would be to my advantage. A lot of students are applying with the old MCAT so it is not really possible to compare the p/s section this year.

Virginia resident
Schools:
U. Louisville
U. Utah
U. Wisconsin School of Med. and Pub Health
Wright State University Boonshoft
Meharry
Eastern VA
UVA ... yea idk
Chicago Medical School
Penn State
Rosaland Franklin
GW

Still waiting on secondary from Howard and VCU. Howard sends it to everyone but I never recieved one. I called them many times and email them to but got no response. Still need to send secondaries to U. Arizona, Medical college of Wisconsin, Marshal, and Maryland.

On my D.O list I have VCOM, Western in Cali, and NOVA southeastern. Im am not to sure if I will choose to attend a D.O school if I get in this year. I may wait another year,. I just dont know at this point, just waiting.

IF I do retake the MCAT which I do not look forward.. I am not sure if I can get a 128 in verbal again. I mean I did well on my aamc practice verbal but a 128.. god was on my side. I am sure I can bring up the p/s to a 127 and my biology to a 127..

still if my verbal drops to like a 1125/126 idk if it will be worth the risk. What do you guys think?

I talked to a few premed advisor and they said the fact that I messed up in p/s would be to my advantage. A lot of students are applying with the old MCAT so it is not really possible to compare the p/s section this year.

Virginia resident
Schools:
U. Louisville
U. Utah
Meharry
Eastern VA
UVA ... yea idk
Chicago Medical School
Penn State
Rosaland Franklin
GW

Still waiting on secondary from Howard and VCU. Howard sends it to everyone but I never recieved one. I called them many times and email them to but got no response. Still need to send secondaries to U. Arizona, Medical college of Wisconsin, Marshal, and Maryland.

On my D.O list I have VCOM, Western in Cali, and NOVA southeastern. Im am not to sure if I will choose to attend a D.O school if I get in this year. I may wait another year,. I just dont know at this point, just waiting.

IF I do retake the MCAT which I do not look forward.. I am not sure if I can get a 128 in verbal again. I mean I did well on my aamc practice verbal but a 128.. god was on my side. I am sure I can bring up the p/s to a 127 and my biology to a 127..

still if my verbal drops to like a 1125/126 idk if it will be worth the risk. What do you guys think?

The only school I see on that list I think you have some kind of realistic shot at getting a II for is Eastern Virginia and VCU.

Rosalind, Penn State, and GW might be possible although those schools get tons of apps and many from people with much higher MCAT Scores. All in all though, you have 2 schools with a semi-realistic shot at interviewing at and 3 that might be plausible if everything goes your way at one of them. That's not alot at all and hence I wouldn't hedge my bets on MD this cycle.

If you aren't willing to go to a DO school a) do not apply this cycle. Getting a DO acceptance and turning it down is going to blacklist you from any DO's in the future. b) An MCAT re-take is in order. I think gyngyn has stated several times in the past that nobody's really gonna look at your new MCAT score and calculate it as if you didn't have psych/soc. It's best to assume you have a 28 and to re-take if you really are boning for the MD.

Having said all this, I don't encourage retaking the MCAT unless you have reason to believe you'll do substantially better on the re-take. Your skepticism makes it sound like you don't. In that case, it's probably worth giving consideration to changing your mindset on DO's and how you would consider them if you get an acceptance from them this cycle. If you will take a DO acceptance this cycle, you certainly can generate alot of interest from many.

Virginia resident
Schools:
U. Louisville
U. Utah
Meharry
Eastern VA
UVA ... yea idk
Chicago Medical School
Penn State
Rosaland Franklin
GW

Are these schools you have applied to or are going to apply to? If the latter, leave out UW Madison. They reserve up to 80% of their seats for Wisconsin residents and you have to have crazy stats to get an interview there OOS.

Reactions: 1 user
Are these schools you have applied to or are going to apply to? If the latter, leave out UW Madison. They reserve up to 80% of their seats for Wisconsin residents and you have to have crazy stats to get an interview there OOS.

I have applied to those schools.

The only school I see on that list I think you have some kind of realistic shot at getting a II for is Eastern Virginia and VCU.

Rosalind, Penn State, and GW might be possible although those schools get tons of apps and many from people with much higher MCAT Scores. All in all though, you have 2 schools with a semi-realistic shot at interviewing at and 3 that might be plausible if everything goes your way at one of them. That's not alot at all and hence I wouldn't hedge my bets on MD this cycle.

If you aren't willing to go to a DO school a) do not apply this cycle. Getting a DO acceptance and turning it down is going to blacklist you from any DO's in the future. b) An MCAT re-take is in order. I think gyngyn has stated several times in the past that nobody's really gonna look at your new MCAT score and calculate it as if you didn't have psych/soc. It's best to assume you have a 28 and to re-take if you really are boning for the MD.

Having said all this, I don't encourage retaking the MCAT unless you have reason to believe you'll do substantially better on the re-take. Your skepticism makes it sound like you don't. In that case, it's probably worth giving consideration to changing your mindset on DO's and how you would consider them if you get an acceptance from them this cycle. If you will take a DO acceptance this cycle, you certainly can generate alot of interest from many.

Yes this year is not looking so good. I am about to submit NOVA today. I do not know if I should submit. I have time to do a retake and do better. The only thing I am worried about is a drop in verbal. I am also sure that if I apply with the same MCAT but a better list of schools next year (EARLY ) then I will have a greater change of acceptance at MD.

Yes this year is not looking so good. I am about to submit NOVA today. I do not know if I should submit. I have time to do a retake and do better. The only thing I am worried about is a drop in verbal. I am also sure that if I apply with the same MCAT but a better list of schools next year (EARLY ) then I will have a greater change of acceptance at MD.
Whatever you do, if you decide to retake the MCAT, don't rush it! Make sure you plan ample time to figure out how to improve, and then focus on studying hard for a good chunk of time.

Reactions: 1 user