506MCAT, 3.6 undergrad, 3.6 postbacc at university of pennsylvania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wv_philly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm applying MD this cycle and am wondering what my chances are at getting acceptances.

MCAT: 506
phys: 125
CARS: 125
bio: 130
psych: 126

My undergrad GPA is a 3.6 and then I did a post-bacc program (didn't take the prereqs in undergrad) at the University of Pennsylvania and have a 3.62 GPA from that.

I have worked full time in research (while doing the post-bacc) for the last year, and will continue working in my gap year.

I have an MCAT retake test date in two weeks (ish) but my job has made studying at the appropriate level impossible. Wondering what my chances are WITHOUT a retake???

If it matters, I am a white female... grew up in a rural area.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

We really need to know about your ECs to give u a proper WAMC. Assuming they are your "cookie cutter" stuff you have a fair to lower chance. I advise that you really take time to retake your mcat. You really need to improve to justify a retake or else it will hurt your app. Unless your scoring 512+ on your practice tests rn I would say you should postpone it.

GL

Do you have clinical volunteering hours or shadowing hours? Your best chances are some of the PA schools so apply to Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State and Commonwealth-Geisinger. Other schools where you could receive interviews with your stats include:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
GW
Georgetown
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Your chances are ~50% for a MD acceptance with your stats. Consider also applying to at least 6 DO schools and you have PCOM and LECOM in PA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have clinical volunteering hours or shadowing hours? Your best chances are some of the PA schools so apply to Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State and Commonwealth-Geisinger. Other schools where you could receive interviews with your stats include:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
GW
Georgetown
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Your chances are ~50% for a MD acceptance with your stats. Consider also applying to at least 6 DO schools and you have PCOM and LECOM in PA.
We really need to know about your ECs to give u a proper WAMC. Assuming they are your "cookie cutter" stuff you have a fair to lower chance. I advise that you really take time to retake your mcat. You really need to improve to justify a retake or else it will hurt your app. Unless your scoring 512+ on your practice tests rn I would say you should postpone it.

GL

Hi, thanks for the response! During my whole post-bacc, I have worked in research with human studies. I have extensive patient contact and observational/shadowing and research hours in inpatient, outpatient, and OR settings. I am an author on several abstracts and a couple manuscripts (not first author, my highest authorship level currently is third author). I am currently also working with a group of post-baccs under a resident to develop a program at Penn's refugee clinic for refugees who are new to Philadelphia to help them navigate the US healthcare system My LOR's (5) are all awesome and are coming with a committee letter from the University of Pennsylvania where I am doing my post-bacc. If it matters, two are from UPenn physician/researchers, one from a UPenn PhD researcher, one from an undergrad advisor, and one from a Penn Post-Bacc lecturer who I know well.

My current struggle is that working full time has really not allowed me to appropriately study for my MCAT retake in a couple of weeks, and I'm worried I'll get a "bad" test for me with focuses in areas where I'm weak and my score will go down.....

Do my EC's change your assessment at all??

Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
GW
Georgetown
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

I'm actually a West Virginia resident, not a Pennsylvania resident. I was actually already planning to apply to most (if not all, I would need to check) of those schools.

As for my EC's... During my whole post-bacc, I have worked in research with human studies. I have extensive patient contact and observational/shadowing and research hours in inpatient, outpatient, and OR settings. I am an author on several abstracts and a couple manuscripts (not first author, my highest authorship level currently is third author). I am currently also working with a group of post-baccs under a resident to develop a program at Penn's refugee clinic for refugees who are new to Philadelphia to help them navigate the US healthcare system My LOR's (5) are all awesome and are coming with a committee letter from the University of Pennsylvania where I am doing my post-bacc. If it matters, two are from UPenn physician/researchers, one from a UPenn PhD researcher, one from an undergrad advisor, and one from a Penn Post-Bacc lecturer who I know well.

Does that change your assessment at all?

Hi, thanks for the response! During my whole post-bacc, I have worked in research with human studies. I have extensive patient contact and observational/shadowing and research hours in inpatient, outpatient, and OR settings. I am an author on several abstracts and a couple manuscripts (not first author, my highest authorship level currently is third author). I am currently also working with a group of post-baccs under a resident to develop a program at Penn's refugee clinic for refugees who are new to Philadelphia to help them navigate the US healthcare system My LOR's (5) are all awesome and are coming with a committee letter from the University of Pennsylvania where I am doing my post-bacc. If it matters, two are from UPenn physician/researchers, one from a UPenn PhD researcher, one from an undergrad advisor, and one from a Penn Post-Bacc lecturer who I know well.

My current struggle is that working full time has really not allowed me to appropriately study for my MCAT retake in a couple of weeks, and I'm worried I'll get a "bad" test for me with focuses in areas where I'm weak and my score will go down.....

Do my EC's change your assessment at all??
So yeah, I advise you not to take the mcat if you haven't studied adequately for it. Assuming you apply to many schools with your 506 and 3.6 you will have a fair to lower chance.(LizzyM=65 which means 43%) However your stats are a complete GO for DO schools across the country.

Make sure to take a look at MSAR to see which MD schools you should apply to.

GL

Goodluck

You are fortunate to be a W VA applicant! even without a re-take.

So you think I'm competitive at, say West Virginia University SOM as a resident with my current MCAT, GPA, and ECs?