507 (124 CARS), 3.8, TMDSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grapesofwrath

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to apply this year (if you're open to attending a less prestigious TX school) and not wait for a new MCAT since the delayed application is likely to damage you more than a score that is merely adequate. Apply to EVERY single TMDSAS school. (Houston is rumored to auto-strike every student who doesn't.) If you're stuck on Houston or UTSW, then you'll probably need a higher MCAT and yes, it will cost you a year.

Based on what you've written, I would expect you would receive a few interview invitations and it will be the interview that makes or breaks you this year.

If by JH, you mean Johns Hopkins, and this is where you did your undergrad, then you may receive a slight bump on your GPA (which is very good in any case) since they're notorious grade deflators.

My suggestion is to apply this year (if you're open to attending a less prestigious TX school) and not wait for a new MCAT since the delayed application is likely to damage you more than a score that is merely adequate. Apply to EVERY single TMDSAS school. (Houston is rumored to auto-strike every student who doesn't.) If you're stuck on Houston or UTSW, then you'll probably need a higher MCAT and yes, it will cost you a year.

Based on what you've written, I would expect you would receive a few interview invitations and it will be the interview that makes or breaks you this year.

If by JH, you mean Johns Hopkins, and this is where you did your undergrad, then you may receive a slight bump on your GPA (which is very good in any case) since they're notorious grade deflators.
Sorry I didn't clarify, I spent last summer at Johns Hopkins school of medicine but attend a university in Dallas. I'm find with less prestigious TX schools though. Would you recommend any OOS options? Anyways thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I didn't clarify, I spent last summer at Johns Hopkins school of medicine but attend a university in Dallas. I'm find with less prestigious TX schools though. Would you recommend any OOS options? Anyways thanks for the input.

Probably low yield, unless you mean DO. So I'd suggest apply all TMDSAS right away. THEN, if you're reasonably certain you can substantially improve your MCAT, go ahead and do that. Your new score will be seen - most likely in time to make a difference.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied with a 507 MCAT and a low CARS and had success this cycle. I would give it a go

Reactions: 2 users