507 ---> 521 Mcat retake chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anader14

Reaction score
I retook the MCAT and received a 521. I took the exam once before and got a 507. I was wondering what types of schools I should apply to since I took the MCAT twice. My gpa is a 3.84.

Research: 2 summers in REU programs at Vanderbilt and Rutgers. 2 years of research in an immunology lab at my university through which I attended a couple conferences, had multiple poster presentations, and wrote a thesis.
Clinical volunteering/experience: 50 hours at local hospital. Traveled to Nicaragua with my schools chapter of Global Medical Brigades. Currently working as a scribe during my gap year. 60 hours physician shadowing.
Leadership: TA for microbiology course for a year. Chemistry tutor for a year. Cofounder and Vice President of a club on campus that raises awareness about the decline in vaccination rates and presents to parents at local schools about the importance of vaccination.
ECs: THON (student run org that raises money for the Four Diamonds Fund for kids with cancer) organization member at Penn State. Member of club field hockey team for 4 years. Member of science outreach club where I led tours for prospective students and organized outreach events at local elementary schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I retook the MCAT and received a 521. I took the exam once before and got a 507. I was wondering what types of schools I should apply to since I took the MCAT twice. My gpa is a 3.84.

Research: 2 summers in REU programs at Vanderbilt and Rutgers. 2 years of research in an immunology lab at my university through which I attended a couple conferences, had multiple poster presentations, and wrote a thesis.
Clinical volunteering/experience: 50 hours at local hospital. Traveled to Nicaragua with my schools chapter of Global Medical Brigades. Currently working as a scribe during my gap year. 60 hours physician shadowing.
Leadership: TA for microbiology course for a year. Chemistry tutor for a year. Cofounder and Vice President of a club on campus that raises awareness about the decline in vaccination rates and presents to parents at local schools about the importance of vaccination.
ECs: THON (student run org that raises money for the Four Diamonds Fund for kids with cancer) organization member at Penn State. Member of club field hockey team for 4 years. Member of science outreach club where I led tours for prospective students and organized outreach events at local elementary schools.
Even as a 2x MCAT taker, a 521 is nothing to sneeze at.

I suggest aiming high:
Yale
WashU
Vanderbilt
NYU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
JHU
Harvard
Stanford
Sinai
Cornell
Columbia
Duke
BU
Case
USC/Keck
Mayo
U Cincy
Pitt
USF Morsani
Ohio State
Hofstra
U IA
UCSF
Albert Einstein
Emory
Rochester
Dartmouth
Miami
Western MI
Jefferson
U VM
Your state school(s)

Hey,

I was wondering how you studied the second time you took the MCAT and how long did you study for it? If its possible to maybe post all your resources

Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey,

I was wondering how you studied the second time you took the MCAT and how long did you study for it? If its possible to maybe post all your resources

Thanks!

I began studying again for the MCAT about 6 months after I took it the first time, which helped me a lot because I wasn't burnt out. The second time around I studied for about 3 months with the help of a private NextStep tutor. Since I self studied the first time, I decided that trying the tutoring route might be a better option. I really loved my tutor and he helped me stay on track during the months spent studying. I was able to focus on my weak areas and ask my tutor questions when I couldn't figure out a concept on my own. I only used NextStep and AAMC materials. I took one practice exam every week. Each week I read book chapters while making flashcards and doing practice questions. During the last few weeks I did the AAMC question banks and practice tests to gauge how well I was doing. I think what helped me the second time around was changing my study focus. The first time I spent too much time reading chapters and taking notes instead of practicing. The second time I did a lot more practice questions and used them as a source of studying. I feel like a major obstacle to the MCAT is learning how to approach each question. Although I knew a lot of knowledge the first time, I didn't know how to correctly apply it to a test environment.

Reactions: 1 user