MD & DO 508 -> 518 (both unbalanced) and U-shaped GPA trend (3.82)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chwiwiw

Reaction score
Hello!

I know that U-shaped trends aren't the best, but it's better than a strictly downward trend, right? Here's what I got:
Stats:
1st MCAT: 508 (129/122/128/129), retook because of low CARS
2nd MCAT: 518 (132/125/129/132), I think it's still a little whack but I'm happy about it
Freshman cGPA/sGPA: 3.88/3.84
Sophomore GPA: 3.65/3.63
Junior GPA: 3.75/3.73
Senior GPA: 3.82/3.81

ECs:
2150 hours shadowing, includes scribing hours
300 hours volunteering at my school's center for disabilities
2000 hours as a medical scribe in a hospital setting, included in shadowing hours
100 hours clinical volunteering in two mission trips: one in Ghana and another in Sri Lanka
1500 hours research over 3 years in 2 different labs, resulting in 1 2nd author pub, 2 abstracts, and 2 posters
TA'd for 7 different courses
75 hours misc volunteering
Excellent leadership, including being a founder of a student organization and Toastmasters Area Director

Here is my school list, do you think it's too late to apply this cycle? I'm hovering right over the AMCAS submit button and have pre-wrote about a third of my secondaries. I live in CT and this is my second gap year.

List:
All CT schools (UConn, Quinnipac, and Yale)
Einstein
Boston University
Columbia
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Harvard
Hopkins
UPenn
University of Maryland
Rutgers
SUNY Upstate
Tufts

As you can see, I really want to stay in or near the Northeast US, as I have most of my family there. Should I add more?

Members don't see this ad.

Rutgers and SUNY Upstate accept few non residents with no connection to the state.
Consider adding these schools:
Hofstra
Jefferson
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
It is not too late to apply but submit all your secondaries by the end of September.

It's late. Not too late, but late. Your chances would be better if you waited until next cycle; with your MCAT and GPA you are competitive at top 20s. Your "U-shaped" trend could be explained by organic chemistry and in any case is not noteworthy - you have a 3.8 sGPA and cGPA, which isn't going to hold you back at any school in the country. As things are: good luck. Faha's advice is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice everybody! I took Faha's suggestions into consideration and hit the submit button yesterday.

SDN is quite addicting to read, spent most of the last several days reading up about those less fortunate than me stat-wise and the dangers of studying in Caribbean/Australia/etc. Especially @Goro 's views on MSUCOM! Quite entertaining, but I need to stop doing this and focus on pre-writing the remainder of my secondaries and submit everything as soon as I'm verified!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice everybody! I took Faha's suggestions into consideration and hit the submit button yesterday.

SDN is quite addicting to read, spent most of the last several days reading up about those less fortunate than me stat-wise and the dangers of studying in Caribbean/Australia/etc. Especially @Goro 's views on MSUCOM! Quite entertaining, but I need to stop doing this and focus on pre-writing the remainder of my secondaries and submit everything as soon as I'm verified!
Consider U Miami, Loyola, SLU, MCW, Jefferson and U VM