508 MCAT, 3.66 cGPA, 3.67 sGPA need help finishing out school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blastokine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm an NC resident and my primary app is still in line to be verified. I know my MCAT is borderline but I feel pretty good about the rest of my application. I Have about 500 hours volunteering as an EMT(still doing), some shadowing experience, about 350 hours of research (still doing), good LOR's, and felt like I wrote a killer personal statement.

I am currently applying to 15 schools but am looking to add 10-15 more.

The ones that I've already added and paid for are:
Albany
Cooper
UCLA (I know, I know)
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
ECU
Tulane
Arizona Tuscon (added it before I knew you had to have super high stats to be accepted oos)
Missouri-Columbia
Nebraska
UNC
VCU
Wake Forest
Wayne State
West Virginia

Like I said, I'm looking to add 10-15 more but I want to be really smart about them. These are the ones I am thinking about so far:
Texas Rio Grande
Penn State
Texas San Antonio
LSU- New Orleans
Nevada Reno
Texas A&M
Utah
UCF
Rutgers, robert wood johnson
GW
Drexel
Rosalind
Georgetown
EVMS
Miami
Tufts
Duke (A man can dream)

As much as I really want to apply to Duke, I know my chances there are slim to none and probably am not going to end up applying there anyways but I'm still thinking about just giving a shot. Any schools from that second list that I should for sure apply to or take off of my list? Any schools that aren't on that list that I could have a decent shot at?

Any insight will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
From your list, I'd suggest penn state, GWU, EVMS, rosalind. Maybe also tufts and drexel but they are rather impacted. For the rest, I urge you to really look hard at the MSAR particularly 50th percentile MCAT and percentage of OOS students matriculating (>20%).

Otherwise I suggest looking at: OUWB, Loyola Stritch. Possibly also quinnipiac, UVM, NYMC

From your list, I'd suggest penn state, GWU, EVMS, rosalind. Maybe also tufts and drexel but they are rather impacted. For the rest, I urge you to really look hard at the MSAR particularly 50th percentile MCAT and percentage of OOS students matriculating (>20%).

Otherwise I suggest looking at: OUWB, Loyola Stritch. Possibly also quinnipiac, UVM, NYMC

Thank you! And I've already spent a lot of time on MSAR, was just looking for insight from people with experience. According to the MSAR quinnipac, UVM, and NYMC have median MCAT's of 512 which might be a bit too high for me but I'll still look into them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a more realistic list. I am appalled that someone with as much research experience as you couldn't be bothered to investigate school websites and MSAR stats more thoroughly.

EDIT: all the OOS public schools on your OP list would merely be donations. they don't need the money. Take your SO out to dinner instead.

U VM
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
SLU
WVU
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
VCU
Netter
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with CUSOM
Your state school(s), excluding Duke.

Here is a more realistic list. I am appalled that someone with as much research experience as you couldn't be bothered to investigate school websites and MSAR stats more thoroughly.

EDIT: all the OOS public schools on your OP list would merely be donations. they don't need the money. Take your SO out to dinner instead.

U VM
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
SLU
WVU
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
VCU
Netter
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with CUSOM
Your state school(s), excluding Duke.
Thanks for the reply.

By OP list do you mean the ones I already paid for, am thinking about, or both?

Both. Missouri-Columbia and Nebraska admit very few OOSers.
Sorry to keep bothering you, but if you don't mind, I was wondering if you think that I shouldn't bother applying to the Texas schools. And do you know how my chances are looking for UNC? Thanks in advance.

Sorry to keep bothering you, but if you don't mind, I was wondering if you think that I shouldn't bother applying to the Texas schools. And do you know how my chances are looking for UNC? Thanks in advance.
The TX schools don't need donations either. Did you know that they have a mandate to fill 90% of their seats with Texans?

One has to be > avg for OOS public schools, as they favor the home team.

For UNC, you are in a good zone...> their 25th %ile for acceptees!

Both. Missouri-Columbia and Nebraska admit very few OOSers.
According to MSAR, NB interviews almost 10% of all OOSers who apply and has around 20% OOSers or international students in their class which doesn't seem that bad, are you saying that there's a regional preference?

And also Duke has a pretty huge range of accepted/matriculated stats that would put OP at the 25 percentile of matriculant MCAT/GPA, while interviewing ~17% of ISers who apply, why do you think it wouldn't be worth them applying?

-Sorry to hijack, I just have similar stats and was wondering!

According to MSAR, NB interviews almost 10% of all OOSers who apply and has around 20% OOSers or international students in their class which doesn't seem that bad, are you saying that there's a regional preference?

And also Duke has a pretty huge range of accepted/matriculated stats that would put OP at the 25 percentile of matriculant MCAT/GPA, while interviewing ~17% of ISers who apply, why do you think it wouldn't be worth them applying?

-Sorry to hijack, I just have similar stats and was wondering!
When you seen numbers like that, they are most definitely regional candidates, or people with very strong ties to the state, like growing up there, or attending university there. UNLV expands the list to include close family living there, but I've never gotten a sense for other state schools that your sister living in NE will be a strong tie, for example.

As mentioned earlier, the the taxpayers of the state, who are partially funding your education, want to know that you'll stick around to practice.