508 MCAT/3.7 (both cGPA + sGPA). Advice on EC's and SMP/Post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaRKsTar2300

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school: graduated spring 2018, planning to apply for 2020 cycle

Country/state of residence: Virginia

Schools to which you are applying: EVMS, VCU, VT (both DO/MD), GW, Rosalind Franklin, Quinnipiac, WVU, NOVA Southeastern (both DO/MD), U of Colorado, Seton Hall, Indiana University, U Kentucky, U Louisville, New York Medical College, Drexel, Oakland, Penn State, Central Michigan, Rowan, UNC, Temple, U Vermont, Wayne State, U Arizona (Tucson), U Toledo, Wright State. DO: VCOM, NOVA southeastern, Liberty, WVU, LECOM, CUSOM, PCOM, still researching and adding to the list

Cumulative GPA: 3.71

Science GPA: 3.73

MCAT Scores: 508 (128/125/127/128)

not retaking because my practice exam average was 510 with <125 CARS so its unlikely to recreate for me

Research – 1 semester on Fatty Liver Disease. No pubs, just submitted paper to school Biology department

Volunteering (clinical): 120 hours: majority in ER

Physician shadowing: desperately looking

Non-clinical volunteering: none; volunteered for several psych studies my freshman year but idk if this matters (20 hours)

Extracurricular activities: Lead guitarist in school Pep Band (4 years) - 600+ hours, part of school's pre-med society but didn't do much in it (1 year),

Employment history: about to start scribing

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): n

Specialty of interest: not sure yet

Graduate degrees: Debating an SMP or post-bacc; don't know if its necessary for my stats

Interest in rural health (y/n): don't care

I know my weakness is lack of experience and EC's however, I plan to catch up on that stuff before May since I plan to apply first thing when apps open. Any advice on EC's, post-bacc/SMP, and schools are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Kentucky, Louisville, Central Michigan, Rowan, Toledo, Wright State, UNC, Arizona accept few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Jefferson
Medical College Wisconsin
California University
Kaiser
You do not need a SMP as you are competitive for all DO schools with your current stats and should receive MD interviews also. You do need 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care).

thank you for your input. Also, I just looked up Kaiser since I've never heard of it before. Would it be an issue applying to a school not yet accredited?