Jbro329

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2015
This is my 3rd time applying. I scored 25 (6/14), 510 (128,125,127,130)(9/15). 3.8 sGPA 3.74cGPA white male.

-Graduated Summa Cum Laude May 2015 in Biology, minor in Chemistry
-3 year NCAA student athlete, 1 year team captain
-1500 hrs close patient interaction as scribe and as shadow for PC and Card
-2 years independent research, 1 year research team leader with 2 poster presentations
-2 years as Chem/Bio tutor
-1 year as SI instructor for Organic Chem
~500 hours volunteering locally (Student service, athletic service in community, Food Bank, soup kitchen, etc.)
-I am in the Baton Rouge area and since the flood I worked as medical personnel in an evacuation shelter, volunteered time demolishing and cleaning flooded houses.

Currently I am working as a scribe, taking post bacc undergrad classes and assistant coaching a high school swim team. I was rejected last year with the same stats. I am currently under Early Decision Program review at LSU-HSC in New Orleans but have a feeling I will be rolled over to regular soon.

Does anyone have a short list of schools that they think I should apply to?
Also, I know it is getting late but hopefully I can get released from early and I can submit my apps in ASAP.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I recommend:

Oakland U Beaumont

WVU

Rosy Franklin

MCW

Creighton

NYMC

VCU

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

Netter

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. Start with ACOM, UIW, NYIT-AR, KCOM and Wm Carey.

This is my 3rd time applying. I scored 25 (6/14), 510 (128,125,127,130)(9/15). 3.8 sGPA 3.74cGPA white male.

-Graduated Summa Cum Laude May 2015 in Biology, minor in Chemistry
-3 year NCAA student athlete, 1 year team captain
-1500 hrs close patient interaction as scribe and as shadow for PC and Card
-2 years independent research, 1 year research team leader with 2 poster presentations
-2 years as Chem/Bio tutor
-1 year as SI instructor for Organic Chem
~500 hours volunteering locally (Student service, athletic service in community, Food Bank, soup kitchen, etc.)
-I am in the Baton Rouge area and since the flood I worked as medical personnel in an evacuation shelter, volunteered time demolishing and cleaning flooded houses.

Currently I am working as a scribe, taking post bacc undergrad classes and assistant coaching a high school swim team. I was rejected last year with the same stats. I am currently under Early Decision Program review at LSU-HSC in New Orleans but have a feeling I will be rolled over to regular soon.

Does anyone have a short list of schools that they think I should apply to?
Also, I know it is getting late but hopefully I can get released from early and I can submit my apps in ASAP.

Thanks for any help.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Did you apply to any DO schools in your previous applications? If not you should apply to at least 10 DO schools and you are competitive for any DO school. You may need a DO LOR for some schools. Where is your state of residence?

ZedsDed

You know what really grinds my gears?
2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Your state schools.
Minus the first mediocre MCAT score everything in his application looks very solid. Does anything stick out to you? Hard to advise in a situation like this.

OP
J

Jbro329

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2015
Minus the first mediocre MCAT score everything in his application looks very solid. Does anything stick out to you? Hard to advise in a situation like this.
Would that first MCAT score be holding me back? I'm trying to figure out why I wasn't accepted last year with the same stats and ECs.

Jun 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Would that first MCAT score be holding me back? I'm trying to figure out why I wasn't accepted last year with the same stats and ECs.
Did you interview last year? IMO, that old MCAT is minimally impactful at this point. I would have thought instate LA would have taken you last year.

ZedsDed

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
How many IIs did you receive? How do you feel your interviews went? Did you get any feedback from the schools that rejected you?

On paper, the chances are high that an application such as yours would be accepted somewhere. I can't imagine the first score alone being enough to hold you back anywhere.

OP
J

Jbro329

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2015
Did you interview last year? IMO, that old MCAT is minimally impactful at this point. I would have thought instate LA would have taken you last year.
Interviewed in Shreveport and was not given any feedback at the meeting this summer. I felt it went well but like I said, I was not given any feedback. Very relaxed conversational style interview in February 2016. NO did not interview me. In a meeting with Dr. Eubanks in NO, he only said I applied to late in the cycle. I applied late September waiting for my 9/11 MCAT score to come back.

OP
J

Jbro329

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2015
How many IIs did you receive? How do you feel your interviews went? Did you get any feedback from the schools that rejected you?

On paper, the chances are high that an application such as yours would be accepted somewhere. I can't imagine the first score alone being enough to hold you back anywhere.
I only received 1 in Shreveport. I talk about it in my post above.

Jun 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Interviewed in Shreveport and was not given any feedback at the meeting this summer. I felt it went well but like I said, I was not given any feedback. Very relaxed conversational style interview in February 2016. NO did not interview me. In a meeting with Dr. Eubanks in NO, he only said I applied to late in the cycle. I applied late September waiting for my 9/11 MCAT score to come back.
I would be shocked if you did not get in ED this year. Unless there is a major red flag you are not sharing or you absolutely can not interview to save your life, both LA state schools, I would imagine, should accept you, considering is it Shreveport that you HAVE to be a resident to apply? Did you do undergrad in Louisiana?

OP
J

Jbro329

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2015
I would be shocked if you did not get in ED this year. Unless there is a major red flag you are not sharing or you absolutely can not interview to save your life, both LA state schools, I would imagine, should accept you, considering is it Shreveport that you HAVE to be a resident to apply? Did you do undergrad in Louisiana?
I did not get an ED interview and I'm assuming I will be rolled over to RD as RD interviews have already started to roll out. No, I swam out of state but was told that does not hurt me. Both Dr.Kennedy and Dr.Eubanks were adamant that it would not prevent me from gaining acceptance.

ZedsDed

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I only received 1 in Shreveport. I talk about it in my post above.
Something is off.

Do you have a criminal record? A huge pile of withdrawals? IAs? What?

Jun 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I did not get an ED interview and I'm assuming I will be rolled over to RD as RD interviews have already started to roll out. No, I swam out of state but was told that does not hurt me. Both Dr.Kennedy and Dr.Eubanks were adamant that it would not prevent me from gaining acceptance.
And how long have you been an official resident of LA?

OP
J

Jbro329

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2015
Something is off.

Do you have a criminal record? A huge pile of withdrawals? IAs? What?
No criminal record. Only 1 W as a freshman who accidentally signed up for engineering physics before realizing it didn't count for bio physics. Not sure what IAs are. I cannot think of any other red flags and I am not withholding any information.

And how long have you been an official resident of LA?
I was born and raised in Baton Rouge.

Jun 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
No criminal record. Only 1 W as a freshman who accidentally signed up for engineering physics before realizing it didn't count for bio physics. Not sure what IAs are. I cannot think of any other red flags and I am not withholding any information.

Again, your ties to the state along with 1 explainable "W" with an upward trend on your MCAT...All signs point to your interview or you just have really bad luck. The only thing, realistically, I can think of is that you really just underperformed at your interview. Your stats, IMO, are impressive - very much so for instate and I am shocked you have not been accepted up to this point.

OP
J

Jbro329

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2015
Again, your ties to the state along with 1 explainable "W" with an upward trend on your MCAT...All signs point to your interview or you just have really bad luck. The only thing, realistically, I can think of is that you really just underperformed at your interview. Your stats, IMO, are impressive - very much so for instate and I am shocked you have not been accepted up to this point.
Hopefully, if that is the case, I will have a chance this year to redeem myself. I really thought it went well but I suppose I could have had a skewed idea of how it was actually going. I don't understand why I was not invited for an ED interview in New Orleans but hopefully I will get one RD soon.

ZedsDed

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
That still doesn't explain why he has only one II -- I feel like we're missing something here. Regardless of his residency, he should've received at least a couple of OOS IIs.

ZedsDed

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student

Have you received any feedback from the schools that rejected you?

OP
J

Jbro329

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2015
Have you received any feedback from the schools that rejected you?
New Orleans told me apply earlier and volunteer at the food bank. Shreveport didn't give me any feedback about interview but Dr.Kennedy made comments about the margins in my resume, told me my submitted picture was terrible, paragraph breaks in my PS were bad and other statements along those lines. He recognized that my GPA and MCAT were competitive and I proved myself as a leader by being team captain and head researcher. I'm just worried I am over looking a part of my application that I am presenting poorly or just completely messing up on.

OP
J

Jbro329

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2015
That still doesn't explain why he has only one II -- I feel like we're missing something here. Regardless of his residency, he should've received at least a couple of OOS IIs.
I don't know what you could be missing. I'm not leaving out any information at all.

ZedsDed

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I don't know what you could be missing. I'm not leaving out any information at all.
Dr.Kennedy made comments about the margins in my resume, told me my submitted picture was terrible, paragraph breaks in my PS were bad and other statements along those lines
This ain't no little thing friend. Poor presentation, along with the lack of judgement necessary to fix it, can sink even the best candidates.

OP
J

Jbro329

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2015
This ain't no little thing friend. Poor presentation, along with the lack of judgement necessary to fix it, can sink even the best candidates.
Every concern he brought up I have addressed before reapplying. New PS, new resume, new pictures and rewrote all work/activities entries. Submitted a new picture etc.

Jun 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
New Orleans told me apply earlier and volunteer at the food bank. Shreveport didn't give me any feedback about interview but Dr.Kennedy made comments about the margins in my resume, told me my submitted picture was terrible, paragraph breaks in my PS were bad and other statements along those lines. He recognized that my GPA and MCAT were competitive and I proved myself as a leader by being team captain and head researcher. I'm just worried I am over looking a part of my application that I am presenting poorly or just completely messing up on.
Your PS is arguably the most important soft factor of your entire application. Mind you a decent amount of people are applying with stats within the range you fall in. I missed, at first, how many secondary invites you received. I second what was said above: poor presentation on paper can sink you in a cut throat time to apply to medical school.

OP
J

Jbro329

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2015
Your PS is arguably the most important soft factor of your entire application. Mind you a decent amount of people are applying with stats within the range you fall in. I missed, at first, how many secondary invites you received. I second what was said above: poor presentation on paper can sink you in a cut throat time to apply to medical school.
I had my new PS reviewed by the med advisor at LSU in Baton Rouge. He told me the necessary changes to make before submission. Do you think that making all these changes will help where I need to be?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
He's in a state from which very few go OOS.
I will go with weak written application and/or interview.

Reactions: Goro