• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

510 MCAT, 3.69cGPA, 3.65sGPA

0beron

May 20, 2017
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
    From Virginia, graduated from large public university, BS in Public Health.
    Graduated magna cum laude and worked retail during and for a while after undergrad.
    I'm only 25 but kind of non-trad; was not originally planning on this or anything clinical. I later went to a community college to take chemistry and physics.

MCAT: 510 (125/132/126/127)
    cGPA: 3.69
    sGPA: 3.65

>5000 clinical hours as a paid scribe/medical assistant, as well as >100 hours as a volunteer medical assistant at a free clinic.
    I also have >300 non-clinical volunteer hours at the free clinic, including ~60 hours working on a research project there.
    No shadowing but I've been scribing for over 2 years and have been in a leadership role there for the past year and change.

List so far (Just listing/looking for MD here. I'm also applying to several DO schools):
    1. VCU
    2. EVMS
    3. UVA
    4. WVU
    5. Wake Forest
    6. Western Michigan
    7. Oakland Beaumont
    8. UMichigan
    9. Hofstra
    10. NYMC
    11. MCW
    12. USF

Considering adding:
    Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Jefferson, Temple, Penn State, Netter, UMN (but not sure I'm interested in these locales)
    Georgetown, GW (but cost of living is ridiculous and I hate the traffic)
    Emory (but I don't really need more reaches)

Any input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

JPSmyth

7+ Year Member
    May 2, 2012
    1. Medical Student
      UMich is a definite reach with your stats I think. I haven't seen MSAR this year so correct me if I'm wrong.

Did you use MSAR to make this list? My stats were similar to yours and I was accepted to penn state and Jefferson and interviewed at Temple. But if you don't want to be in a city then I wouldn't waste time and money with Philly schools. You will get accepted if all goes well so good luck!

0beron

May 20, 2017
        UMich is a definite reach with your stats I think. I haven't seen MSAR this year so correct me if I'm wrong.

Did you use MSAR to make this list? My stats were similar to yours and I was accepted to penn state and Jefferson and interviewed at Temple. But if you don't want to be in a city then I wouldn't waste time and money with Philly schools. You will get accepted if all goes well so good luck!

Thanks for your reply! I am mainly applying to UMich at the insistence of my family, to be honest. UVA is a definite reach as well.

I did use MSAR, though it is tough given that this is the first year they are using new MCAT data.

I do like Philly but am not sure that I would want to spend years living there. Really on the fence about those schools.

About the Ads

Faha

7+ Year Member
        Sep 15, 2012
        1. Attending Physician
          Add the schools you are interested in except Emory (reach) and UMN (you are not a resident). The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 65% chance for a MD acceptance so you cannot be too selective about where you want to live for 4 years of medical school. Consider also adding St. Louis, Creighton and Tulane.

JPSmyth

7+ Year Member
          May 2, 2012
          1. Medical Student
            Add the schools you are interested in except Emory (reach) and UMN (you are not a resident). The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 65% chance for a MD acceptance so you cannot be too selective about where you want to live for 4 years of medical school. Consider also adding St. Louis, Creighton and Tulane.

Good idea. I had similar stats and was accepted at creighton as well. Seemed like a solid program

0beron

May 20, 2017

You're definitely right, I'm being too picky about location. I'm also trying to consider my husband's regional preferences, but may have to bite the bullet on city living! Here is my revised list:
              1. VCU
              2. EVMS
              3. UVA
              4. UMichigan
              5. Oakland
              6. Western Michigan
              7. Hofstra
              8. Wake Forest
              9. WVU
              10. GW
              11. Georgetown
              12. Penn State
              13. Jefferson
              14. Drexel
              15. Temple
              16. St Louis
              17. Tulane
              On the fence about Rosalind Franklin and NYMC because of their location and biochemistry requirement, which I haven't taken and would need to take online before matriculation (which appears to be okay with RF but NYMC is "case-by-case" on that).

Thanks to both of you for your help!

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.