MD 513 MCAT, 3.27 GPA, CA Non-trad, Huge Upward Trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlastedHeath

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My app is currently in the verification queue and I received my MCAT score yesterday so I am hoping to finalize a school list soon.

Stats:
MCAT: 513/130/128/128/127

Overall cGPA: 3.27 sGPA: 3.18

Last 165+ units cGPA: 3.9 sGPA: 3.7

The Bad/Questionable:
California resident. Attended 5 different schools over the last 10 years. No research experience.

Academic probation at two different schools, where I had a GPA <1.5. I failed to remediate these grades and was in disqualified status. I received a retroactive withdrawal from one school, which removed that status, but it was not possible at the other one.

10 Withdrawals on my transcripts, all 7+ years ago, plus some Fs, Ds, No-credits, and unauthorized withdrawals

I've taken many online courses. None of these were pre-reqs and I received A's in all of them. Transcript does not say they were taken online, but it is pretty obvious from my other activities I was not physically there.

The Good:
When I finally finished my degree I graduated with a 4.0 and summa cum laude. Have received other academic awards. Undergrad degree is in business/marketing.

Worked in a low level leadership position at a large multinational retail company for 5+ years, was recognized numerous times nationally as one of the top performers in my division. Supported myself through freelance/entrepreneurial stuff for a few years after leaving that company.

Have a few very eye-catching nonmedical/nonacademic activities not mentioned here related to other industries I initially thought I'd work in.

Wide variety of long term hobbies.

ECs:
~50+ hours volunteering in ER
~60 hours shadowing in a few different specialties
~300 hours volunteering in a nursing home
~400 hours mentoring people with health concerns that have affected me

I'll be starting Rosalind Franklin BMS next month, I know I am most likely to get in there through the program, but I have the money to apply pretty broadly and want to keep my options open.

Davis/Irvine/UCLA/USC/San Diego, possibly Loma Linda
Albany
Boston
Case Western
Commonwealth Medical College
Drexel
Duke
Georgetown
George Washington
Loyola
Miller
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Wayne State

Anything I should add/subtract? The other schools on my tentative list were UCSF, Stanford, Einstein, Cincinnati, Columbia, Dartmouth, Mayo, Northwestern, SUNY Downstate, Rush, Hofstra, and Vermont, but would I actually have a shot at any of these? I'm willing to spend money, but I'd rather not completely throw it away.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remove Boston, Case, Duke , Vanderbilt and Tufts as they are far reaches for you. You could add Vermont, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Medical College Wisconsin, Creighton. You should also seriously consider applying to at least 10 DO schools and your are competitive for most DO schools. You may need a DO LOR at some schools.

Remove Boston, Case, Duke , Vanderbilt and Tufts as they are far reaches for you. You could add Vermont, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Medical College Wisconsin, Creighton. You should also seriously consider applying to at least 10 DO schools and your are competitive for most DO schools. You may need a DO LOR at some schools.
Thanks! I'm planning on applying to DO as well, just want MD squared away first. Are you sure about tufts? I do realize it's a reach and know they are low yield but I talked to some people at the med school when I was considering their smp and they all seemed to think I'd have a good shot there.

Thanks! I'm planning on applying to DO as well, just want MD squared away first. Are you sure about tufts? I do realize it's a reach and know they are low yield but I talked to some people at the med school when I was considering their smp and they all seemed to think I'd have a good shot there.
Tufts only interviewed 8% of their OOS applicants last year.

Reactions: 1 user