513 MCAT, 3.88 sGPA & cGPA URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattlima94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its too late in the cycle to edit my school list, but given that I just came across the WAMC format, I was hoping to get different perspectives about my chances of getting interviews for the school I've applied for:

Cumulative GPA and Science GPA: 3.88
I'm a BIO/ECON double major on a special program focused on interdisciplinary studies. I took a well-rounded set of classes and usually went the harder route whenever applicable( i.e. calc-based vs algebra-based physics etc). I hope to pursue an MD/MBA and have expressed that in my application

MCAT: 513 (CR130 / C/P130 / Bio 127 / Psy 126)

Physician Shadowing
-Concierge Medicine Internist (50 hours)
-Family Doctor, DO (40 hours)
-Orthopedic Surgeon(40 hours)
-Chiropractor(40 hours)** (I'm not sure if this is relevant)

Research
Worked on Neuroscience lab as part of an undergraduate team, we had independent projects related to PI's project. Not interested in research, but wanted to have the experience (1.5 years)

Non-Clinical Volunteer Activities
-Actively involved in fundraising for youth group/church for projects in home country and other third world countries. Took a trip to one of the countries to deliver Christmas gifts in orphanage (100 hours)
-Pre-med peer mentor (1 year + started my own sub-section to mentor international students or URM applicants)

Extra-Curricular Activites
-President of a major club sport team(3 years)
-Invited as only undergraduate speaker on a high-profile university event
-Several interesting conferences

I'm a South American applicant from FL applying as green card holder . I realize I applied to a lot of reach school, but I figured I had a good chance of making into at least one of the FL schools, and if I can choose, I would only leave South FL if the other opportunity was extremely attractive. I know the dates I submitted the secondaries are relevant, and I've submitted a few of them somewhat late so I also added that in parenthesis.

Harvard (Early-Mid Aug)
Boston University (Early-Mid Aug)
Tufts (Early-Mid Sep)
Stanford (Early-Mid Aug)
UPenn (Early-Mid Sep)
Northwestern (Early-Mid Sep)
UChicago (Early-Mid Aug)
Columbia (Early-Mid Aug)
NYU (Late Sep)
UCLA (Late Aug)
UCSD (Early-Mid Sep)
UCSF (Late Sep)
UM (Late Aug)
USF (Early-Mid Sep)
UCF (Late Sep)
FIU (Late Sep)
FAU (Late Sep)
Baylor (Late Sep)
Colorado (Early-Mid Sep)

I have gotten 3 interviews so far, none from FL schools. Does anyone have any opinions about what I can expect going forward?

Thank you for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

@gyngyn @Goro @Faha From what I have notice, you guys seem to be the more knowledgeable users regarding application analysis. I'd love for you to weight in. Thanks!

If you have received 3 interviews so far from non Florida schools you are in good shape. You should receive some Florida interviews before March.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to quickly update the thread for anyone who has a similar profile. So far I have gone to 6 interviews. the 3 initial invites plus 3 from FL. I was accepted in all 3 FL schools. Waitlisted at NYU and waiting for final decisions of the other 2 non-FL schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to quickly update the thread for anyone who has a similar profile. So far I have gone to 6 interviews. the 3 initial invites plus 3 from FL. I was accepted in all 3 FL schools. Waitlisted at NYU and waiting for final decisions of the other 2 non-FL schools.
Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user

Congratulations! :soexcited:

Final Update: I interviewed at FAU, FIU, UM, BU, NYU and Feinberg. I have the utmost respect for all the programs and I throughly enjoyed my interaction with all of them. In the end I was offered an acceptance by FAU, FIU, UM and BU and I was waitlisted at NYU and Feinberg. I have made a decision to attend BU. I am extremelly excited and thankful for the opportunity. If anyone has any specific questions about anything regarding my experience applying I'd be glad to try to help. Good luck to everyone!

Final Update: I interviewed at FAU, FIU, UM, BU, NYU and Feinberg. I have the utmost respect for all the programs and I throughly enjoyed my interaction with all of them. In the end I was offered an acceptance by FAU, FIU, UM and BU and I was waitlisted at NYU and Feinberg. I have made a decision to attend BU. I am extremelly excited and thankful for the opportunity. If anyone has any specific questions about anything regarding my experience applying I'd be glad to try to help. Good luck to everyone!
Congratulations !

Accepted to Feinberg off the waitlist!!! I was about to take myself off the waitlist because I figured I had no chance and should move on with my life. It goes to show how unpredictable this whole process can be. I'm extremely excited and, if I can afford it, I will definitely attend!!

• Love