515, 3.2 cGPA reinvention after a 2.5 uGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etp123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
MCAT: 515 (128/131/130/126)

3.2 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA, previously 2.5 uGPA, 2.0 sGPA (yikes, I know... :confused:). Did ~90 units of a DIY postbac with a 3.87 GPA.

Personal:
Asian, female. CA resident. Went to a top UC and completed postbac at another UC.

Clinical experience:
~450 hrs volunteering in a program at a local hospital with hands-on, clinical experience. Assisted doctors, nurses, and other medical staff with patient care/comfort and got to shadow several different departments/procedures. Didn't have enough time to get close enough to any 1 doctor for a LOR though.

Research experience:
2 years undergraduate research (no pubs), 3.5 years as a research tech at an immunology facility and then at a genetics lab (1 pub not 1st or 2nd author though, 1 abstract, 1 possible pub underway)

Other:
Hundreds of hours of volunteering with a student-run homeless/low-income clinic that provided health and social services.

VP of an ethnic student organization for 2 years

Involvement with student leadership for 3 years

Some freelance digital art

Schools: Just trying to apply broadly, hoping to apply to ~40-60. Let me known if there's any I should add to my list or take off.

U Cincinnati
Georgetown
Boston
Drexel
EVMS
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana
Loyola
Tulane
Virginia
Barry
Tufts
Temple
U South Florida
Toledo
USC
SUNY
Midwestern
Rutgers RWJ
UMDNJ
Columbia
Pitt
Mayo
Albany
Wake
Hofstra
Miami
UMass
NYU
Wayne
SLU
Netter (Quinn)
Keck
UCLA
UCI
UCD
UCR
UCSD

Members don't see this ad.

These schools on your list are state public schools that accept few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state:
U Virginia
Toledo
SUNY's
Rutgers RWJ
UMDNJ
UMass
These schools are far reaches: Columbia, Pitt, NYU
I suggest adding these schools:
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Vermont
New York Medical College
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
Also apply to at least 8 DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Noted! I do plan to apply to many DO schools too, I wanted to gauge my chances at MD first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats:

3.2 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA, previously 2.5 uGPA, 2.0 sGPA (yikes, I know... :confused:). Did ~90 units of a DIY postbac with a 3.87 GPA.

Personal:
Asian, female. CA resident. Went to a top UC and completed postbac at another UC.

Clinical experience:
~450 hrs volunteering in a program at a local hospital with hands-on, clinical experience. Assisted doctors, nurses, and other medical staff with patient care/comfort and got to shadow several different departments/procedures. Didn't have enough time to get close enough to any 1 doctor for a LOR though.

Research experience:
2 years undergraduate research (no pubs), 3.5 years as a research tech at an immunology facility and then at a genetics lab (1 pub not 1st or 2nd author though, 1 abstract, 1 possible pub underway)

Other:
Hundreds of hours of volunteering with a student-run homeless/low-income clinic that provided health and social services.

Schools: Just trying to apply broadly, hoping to apply to ~40-60. Let me known if there's any I should add to my list or take off.

U Cincinnati
Georgetown
Boston
Drexel
EVMS
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana
Loyola
Tulane
Virginia
Barry
Tufts
Temple
U South Florida
Toledo
USC
SUNY
Midwestern
Rutgers RWJ
UMDNJ
Columbia
Pitt
Mayo
Albany
Wake
Hofstra
Miami
UMass
NYU
Wayne
SLU
Netter (Quinn)
Keck
UCLA
UCI
UCD
UCR
UCSD

Here is a more realistic list:
Case
BU
Duke
Tufts
Wayne State
SLU
MCW
Netter
Drexel
Wake
U Miami
Keck
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
UCSD (maybe)
U Miami
Gtown
GWU
Tulane
Hofstra
Mayo
Albany
Drexel
EVMS
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro I wanted to ask your advice if you have the time... I have yet to submit my AMCAS and will probably be submitting at the end of next week. I've read how it is strongly emphasized for lower stat applicants to submit early on.

Do you believe it might actually be more worthwhile for me to instead apply to SMPs this fall and then attempt AMCAS, AACOMAS summer 2019? Or should I still submit my applications anyway and see what happens?

SMPs?! No, those are do-or-die and your 90-credit DIY postbacc is enough to show you've changed and grown as a student. You should submit now.

Reactions: 2 users
@Goro I wanted to ask your advice if you have the time... I have yet to submit my AMCAS and will probably be submitting at the end of next week. I've read how it is strongly emphasized for lower stat applicants to submit early on.

Do you believe it might actually be more worthwhile for me to instead apply to SMPs this fall and then attempt AMCAS, AACOMAS summer 2019? Or should I still submit my applications anyway and see what happens?

I'm curious. What UC did you do for Post Bacc?

I'm curious. What UC did you do for Post Bacc?

I just did a DIY postbac at UCLA through their concurrent enrollment program. It allows you to take undergrad classes as a non-matriculated student. It's $$$ since you pay per credit but I suppose most postbac programs are anyway. I believe most if not all UC's have such a thing, definitely UCSD UCLA UCB.

I just did a DIY postbac at UCLA through their concurrent enrollment program. It allows you to take undergrad classes as a non-matriculated student. It's $$$ since you pay per credit but I suppose most postbac programs are anyway. I believe most if not all UC's have such a thing, definitely UCSD UCLA UCB.

Please keep us updated with your progress. I really hope you get admitted somewhere this cycle. If I may ask, what year did graduate UC?

Please keep us updated with your progress. I really hope you get admitted somewhere this cycle. If I may ask, what year did graduate UC?

Thank you! Graduated in 2014. But I'm still torn about the whole situation. I've spoken with a few advisors and they are split. Some say I need that extra push from the SMP, some say I'm fine to apply now, others say it's iffy but the fact that it is mid-July does not help my chances. Still trying to decide what I want to do...

I do not entirely mind doing an SMP and waiting to apply 2019, it would save me money on application fees this year, but then again I lose $50k doing an SMP if I potentially could have gotten in this year. It's a huge gamble and I'm still trying to weigh my choices

Thank you! Graduated in 2014. But I'm still torn about the whole situation. I've spoken with a few advisors and they are split. Some say I need that extra push from the SMP, some say I'm fine to apply now, others say it's iffy but the fact that it is mid-July does not help my chances. Still trying to decide what I want to do...

I do not entirely mind doing an SMP and waiting to apply 2019, it would save me money on application fees this year, but then again I lose $50k doing an SMP if I potentially could have gotten in this year. It's a huge gamble and I'm still trying to weigh my choices

I think they are most likely referring to MD programs. I've read from @Goro that there are MD schools that reward reinvention, which most of them are on the list. However, you have a very solid, if not guaranteed, shot at gaining a DO acceptance. For an example, ACOM's average matriculating c/sGPA was 3.3 with an MCAT average of 501-503. MD might be a 50/50 gamble, that it was it is always recommended to apply as early as possible. I think you will definitely get some II, mid-July is not incredibly late. SMP are very expensive and are kind of a last resort, due to its high risk and high reward nature. You have a very strong upward trend combined with a strong MCAT, for this reason I really don't think you need an SMP.

Stats:

Georgetown
Boston
Drexel
EVMS
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Tulane
Tufts
Midwestern
Pitt
Mayo
Albany
Wake
Hofstra
Miami
Wayne
SLU
Netter (Quinn)
UCI
UCD
UCSF
UCR (only if you're from the Inland Empire)
ADD:
Case
Duke
GWU
Rush
More DO schools

My list above

MD might be a 50/50 gamble, that it was it is always recommended to apply as early as possible. I think you will definitely get some II, mid-July is not incredibly late. SMP are very expensive and are kind of a last resort, due to its high risk and high reward nature. You have a very strong upward trend combined with a strong MCAT, for this reason I really don't think you need an SMP.

I certainly plan to apply to almost all the DO's lol. Thank you for your advice!! I'm going to weigh my options carefully and try to come to a decision by Monday.

Still strongly considering applying early summer 2019 to maximize my chances. Just wish I had spoken to more advisors and gotten a better consensus earlier in the cycle but hey that's on me for next time. In the meantime maybe I'll figure out if there's anything else I want to pursue if not an SMP in the gap year.

Here is a more realistic list:
Case
BU
Duke
Tufts
Wayne State
SLU
MCW
Netter
Drexel
Wake
U Miami
Keck
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
UCSD (maybe)
U Miami
Gtown
GWU
Tulane
Hofstra
Mayo
Albany
Drexel
EVMS
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

I spoke with UF via email and they stated they will also overlook poor grades if you have at least 3 semesters of doing wel in upper level science classes ( not sure if it was because I am a Florida resident but worth a shot OP) and make sure to listen to @Goro he gives genuine and REAL information.

I spoke with UF via email and they stated they will also overlook poor grades if you have at least 3 semesters of doing wel in upper level science classes ( not sure if it was because I am a Florida resident but worth a shot OP) and make sure to listen to @Goro he gives genuine and REAL information.

That's good to hear, only problem I see is that they do have an in-state bias according to MSAR.

Stats:

Personal:

Clinical experience:

Research experience:

Other:

U Cincinnati
Georgetown
Boston
Drexel
EVMS
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana
Loyola
Tulane
Virginia
Barry
Tufts
Temple
U South Florida
Toledo
USC
SUNY
Midwestern
Rutgers RWJ
UMDNJ
Columbia
Pitt
Mayo
Albany
Wake
Hofstra
Miami
UMass
NYU
Wayne
SLU
Netter (Quinn)
Keck
UCLA
UCI
UCD
UCR
UCSD
Where did you end up getting accepted?? I’m super curious. I hope you were rewarded for your comeback!