515 mcat 3.6 gpa URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnimeMed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a while back, but some of my stats have updated since and I'm wondering how competitive I would be

3.65 cG.P.A (3.59 sG.P.A)
515 MCAT
Undergraduate: Johns Hopkins
Male
URM ( 1/2 Black 1/2 Hispanic)

Clinical volunteering:
300-350 hrs volunteering at various hospitals
1.5 year research in chemistry department ( no publications)
400 hours volunteer EMT
100 hrs shadowing in ED

Non-clinical volunteering:
GED Tutor in Baltimore area- about 100 hours
Elementary school tutor in Baltimore areas- about 100 hours
Cooking 4 love (club that cooks for single mothers)- about 100 hours

Miscellaneous:
Studied abroad in Spain ( Fluent)
500+ hours paid EMT
During school year worked as an Office Assistant (10-15 hrs a week)

My father is an El Salvadorian immigrant who didn't finish high school, and my mom has a bachelors degree. I grew up in Kansas City, MO in a low-income area (>50,000) and relate much more with my mother's urban African American side than my father's, hence my desire to work in low income urban communities

Desired Schools:
Duke*
University of Michigan*
Vanderbilt*
Johns Hopkins
Emory
Mayo
University of North Caroline- Chapel Hill
NYU (3 year med program)
Columbia
Baylor
Tulane
Yale
University of Missouri

Members don't see this ad.

Good chance at all of your schools, with your URM status, ECs, and fluency in Spanish. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
School list: (* indicating reach school)
I'm aiming to go back home to the south, but being accepted anywhere is fine by me

1) U Michigan *
2) Emory
3) U South Carolina *
4) John A Burns (Hawaii, my mother and sister lived here for a decade and my stepfather has a military background)
5) Vanderbilt *
6) Duke *
7)UNC *
8) Alabama
9) Columbia
10)Baylor*
11) Tulane
12) Wake Forest
13)LSU
14) Mizzou
15) Mercer
16) Mississippi
17) Morehouse
18) Meharry
19) U Tennesee
20) UMKC
21) Brody
22) UT Galveston
23) Augusta
24) Louisville
25) St.Louis
26) Rosalind Franklin
27) Loyola

Any advice? Are reachs within reach? Enough Back-ups? Any other schools to add? I've saved up quite a bit for the application process, hence the long list.

What is your state of residency? You have many state public schools that accept very few OOS applicants on your list.

Also your stats are great and you probably have a chance at any medical school in the country (besides those that have a strong IS preference for states you are not a resident of).

You have many state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. For example, Brody accepted zero non residents last year. Remove the state public schools such as Brody, UT Galveston, Medical College Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, Mercer and Mississippi . You could add these schools:
Creighton
Miami
Georgetown
Einstein
Mount Sinai

What is your state of residency? You have many state public schools that accept very few OOS applicants on your list.

Also your stats are great and you probably have a chance at any medical school in the country (besides those that have a strong IS preference for states you are not a resident of).

My state of Residency is Missouri, but I don't know if it'll change since I live with my parents when not in college and they're about to move to Alabama.