516 MCAT, low undergrad GPA, good grad GPA - help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mre1123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Just looking for some input on my school list, and if there are any horrible red flags that you may notice. I am also not sure if I should include any DO schools on my list. Any criticism or comments are welcome! Thanks.

Currently , I am enrolled in my second semester of a M.S. in Physiology, I will be graduating in December 2020.

Country/state of residence: NY

Schools to which you are applying:

Target
Albany
Buffalo
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Temple
Drexel
Geisinger
Cooper
Seton Hall
Eastern Virginia Medical School

Reach
Upstate
Rochester
Downstate
Tufts
UMass
Thomas Jefferson
Rutgers NJMC
Vermont
Maryland
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
G. Washington
Georgetown
Indiana

Far Reach
Einstein
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Brown
Dartmouth
Boston U

Cumulative GPA: - Undergrad: 3.38 Grad: 4.0 Combined: 3.42
Science GPA: Undergrad 3.26 Grad 4.0 Combined: 3.33
MCAT Scores: 516 (130/126/130/130)

Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc):
At time of application, will be 1 year of basic science research. Will be a co-author on a paper that should be published before applications (something like a 10th author, its a collaborative project). Started my own project this January that (according to PI) will lead to first authorship probably by November/December

Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites:
5 years of volunteering at campus EMS agency. 1 of those years as officer. probably close to 4000 hours.

2 years as critical care emt (IVs, intubations, cardiac monitoring, etc.)

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties:
Just got someone to agree to let me shadow, so by applications should be ~40 hours with Chief Resident in Anesthesiology.

Non-clinical volunteering:
none :(

Extracurricular activities:
TA for anatomy and physiology, 1 summer (LOR from this professor)

Employment history:
a lot. started working part time during sophomore year of college, mostly EMS jobs.

1 year interfacility transport EMS

1 summer with (local college) Men's lacrosse team first aid

2 years at 1 fire department (since resigned) working as first responder

1.5 years at current fire department working as first responder

6 months at a different fire department as first responder (noticing a trend?)

1 year at telemedicine company - I worked in a nursing home and provided emergency care to the patients there. basically I facetimed a physician, we made a treatment plan, I did the treatment, and we were able to prevent unnecessary hospitalizations. Plan on talking about this on essays/interview

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n):
no

Specialty of interest: Emergency Med or Anesthesiology

Graduate degrees:
currently working on M.S. Physiology

Interest in rural health
no :(

Members don't see this ad.

FYI- MD doesn’t combine you undergrad and grad GPAs. DO does , or at least the consider it highly. Is your grad program a SMP?

Reactions: 1 users
FYI- MD doesn’t combine you undergrad and grad GPAs. DO does , or at least the consider it highly. Is your grad program a SMP?
Yeah I know about the MD programs not combining GPA :( . not an SMP, but it's a masters with thesis at a University with an MD program. I'm not sure if this means anything, but we've had lectures from the MD program faculty, and our program director is on board of admissions for the MD program.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to work on non-clinical volunteering asap. Otherwise your app is dead in the water. Also include established DO schools to your list.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to work on non-clinical volunteering asap. Otherwise your app is dead in the water. Also include established DO schools to your list.
I have been an instructor for Stop-the-Bleed training for various campus organizations, and my ambulance agency does this thing called "teddy bear clinics" where we go to local preschools and teach them about the ambulance and doctors, dress up their teddy bears with band aids, etc. Do you think I could emphasize this to cover myself for non clinical volunteering?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes always have DOs on your list.

The connections with your admissions committee may matter a little, but if you don't have volunteering hours, you might not have a shot. Also you have to clarify your EMT as employment or clinical volunteering since your description seems to mix them. One can be on committee for a few years anyway.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

I have been an instructor for Stop-the-Bleed training for various campus organizations, and my ambulance agency does this thing called "teddy bear clinics" where we go to local preschools and teach them about the ambulance and doctors, dress up their teddy bears with band aids, etc. Do you think I could emphasize this to cover myself for non clinical volunteering?
So how many total hours? 100? 500? 1000?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU UNT
With your undergraduate GPA you should apply broadly to at least 8 DO schools and consider these
UNECOM
NYIT
PCOM
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
CUSOM
AZCOM
VCOM (all schools)

Hey folks,
Just looking for some input on my school list, and if there are any horrible red flags that you may notice. I am also not sure if I should include any DO schools on my list. Any criticism or comments are welcome! Thanks.

Currently , I am enrolled in my second semester of a M.S. in Physiology, I will be graduating in December 2020.

Country/state of residence: NY

Schools to which you are applying:

Target
Albany
Buffalo
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Temple
Drexel
Geisinger
Cooper
Seton Hall
Eastern Virginia Medical School

Reach
Upstate
Rochester
Downstate
Tufts
UMass
Thomas Jefferson
Rutgers NJMC
Vermont
Maryland
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
G. Washington
Georgetown
Indiana

Far Reach
Einstein
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Brown
Dartmouth
Boston U

Cumulative GPA: - Undergrad: 3.38 Grad: 4.0 Combined: 3.42
Science GPA: Undergrad 3.26 Grad 4.0 Combined: 3.33
MCAT Scores: 516 (130/126/130/130)

Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc):
At time of application, will be 1 year of basic science research. Will be a co-author on a paper that should be published before applications (something like a 10th author, its a collaborative project). Started my own project this January that (according to PI) will lead to first authorship probably by November/December

Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites:
5 years of volunteering at campus EMS agency. 1 of those years as officer. probably close to 4000 hours.

2 years as critical care emt (IVs, intubations, cardiac monitoring, etc.)

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties:
Just got someone to agree to let me shadow, so by applications should be ~40 hours with Chief Resident in Anesthesiology.

Non-clinical volunteering:
none :(

Extracurricular activities:
TA for anatomy and physiology, 1 summer (LOR from this professor)

Employment history:
a lot. started working part time during sophomore year of college, mostly EMS jobs.

1 year interfacility transport EMS

1 summer with (local college) Men's lacrosse team first aid

2 years at 1 fire department (since resigned) working as first responder

1.5 years at current fire department working as first responder

6 months at a different fire department as first responder (noticing a trend?)

1 year at telemedicine company - I worked in a nursing home and provided emergency care to the patients there. basically I facetimed a physician, we made a treatment plan, I did the treatment, and we were able to prevent unnecessary hospitalizations. Plan on talking about this on essays/interview

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n):
no

Specialty of interest: Emergency Med or Anesthesiology

Graduate degrees:
currently working on M.S. Physiology

Interest in rural health
no :(
As a reinventor, you need DO schools on your list.