517, 3.95+ too late for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ODST

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was planning on applying DO only until I recently scored 517 on the MCAT. I know it is getting pretty late for the MD cycle, but do you think I could be accepted at mid-tier MD schools? I might also apply to one or two T20 reach schools.
My GPA is >3.95 and The 517 is the only MCAT I took.
I also have shadowing, hospital volunteering, and a bit of non-medical volunteering.
Unfortunately I have no research experience.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

At least try your state schools!! lack of research will hurt at the research powerhouses.
Thank you, I will probably apply to my local MD schools and my top choice DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I will probably apply to my local MD schools and my top choice DO schools.

If you're going to put in an application now with your stats, I would go all out. Definitely also apply DO if you must go to school this year, but if you are able to get your full application in expediently, you have a chance of a cycle going very well.

Reactions: 1 user
I would wait until next year and work on getting research experience. I had similar stats and a year's worth of research and had success.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

I would suggest to wait for next cycle that will offer you a better chance for better schools, unless you don't care about other things.

Wow... congrats! You do not need research experience.. it is late August, you can try to apply but many spots are filling up or people are being invited to interviews. However, if you decide to still apply... apply to 15 or so and get the most so you don't have to be a re-applicant.

I added extra schools in late September and still got interviews. I would submit ASAP to schools that fit your interests, definitely state schools, and apply to DO concurrently.

Don't apply to DO schools and wait until next year, maybe apply to your state MD schools if you want to roll the dice. You can come thank me in 5 years when you go through the match.

Reactions: 2 users
517, 3.9 cGPA, and decent ECs implies a lot of options. If you're a traditional student in your early 20s, MD is probably worth a wait for a year.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd absolutely add a bunch of mid and a few competitive MD schools to your cycle. Submitting now will mean verification in mid sept, only a couple weeks past the informal "normal timing" deadline.

I'd absolutely add a bunch of mid and a few competitive MD schools to your cycle. Submitting now will mean verification in mid sept, only a couple weeks past the informal "normal timing" deadline.
agree with this! OP check out the school specific forums and start prewriting secondaries for the schools you are interested in. As long as you have all your secondaries submitted by Mid September you should be good to go!!

There are a lot of schools that have "non-rolling" admissions. Theoretically, your application wouldn't be at a large disadvantage at those schools. Pre-write your secondaries and I bet you will have some luck!

Apply MD and finish all your secondaries by mid September, having stats that great will not hold you back!