517 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, WAMC/School List Help! (Reapplicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mscooter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a reapplicant with a 517 MCAT and 4.0 GPA. I've got the following other stats:
  • Florida resident
  • Went to school at a public state university outside FL (not really looking to apply to their med school though)
  • ORM
  • 250+ hours biology research (in non-clinical science, I did field ecology research), written and defended a thesis for Honors
  • 300+ hours so far working as a phlebotomist in a hospital (in and out of COVID ICU too), 100+ hours scribing since March 2021; probably going to be 1000+ hours at both jobs by next April)
  • 100+ shadowing hours, variety of specialties
  • Strong extracurriculars (long-term exec member of public health mock conference club, was president for a year, arranged multiple conferences)
  • Some volunteering (some at a rehab center, some with Spanish-speaking tutoring)
  • 1 strong committee letter, no other LORs as of yet

I'm planning on applying to some Florida schools (UF, UCF, USF) but I'm not sure of where to set my sights in terms of out-of-state. Also, since I'm a reapplicant (submitted late last year and got no interviews), should I be considering applying DO as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools did you apply to this past cycle ? How late did you submit your secondaries last year ?
This was my school list last year:
Einstein
BU
Emory
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Harvard
Kaiser
Tufts
USF Morsani
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCF
UColorado
UF
UMiami
UPittsburgh
URochester
UVA
Wake Forest
Cornell
NYU

Last cycle, I submitted most of my secondaries around mid-late September.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm a reapplicant with a 517 MCAT and 4.0 GPA. I've got the following other stats:
  • Florida resident
  • Went to school at a public state university outside FL (not really looking to apply to their med school though)
  • ORM
  • 250+ hours biology research (in non-clinical science, I did field ecology research), written and defended a thesis for Honors
  • 300+ hours so far working as a phlebotomist in a hospital (in and out of COVID ICU too), 100+ hours scribing since March 2021; probably going to be 1000+ hours at both jobs by next April)
  • 100+ shadowing hours, variety of specialties
  • Strong extracurriculars (long-term exec member of public health mock conference club, was president for a year, arranged multiple conferences)
  • Some volunteering (some at a rehab center, some with Spanish-speaking tutoring)
  • 1 strong committee letter, no other LORs as of yet

I'm planning on applying to some Florida schools (UF, UCF, USF) but I'm not sure of where to set my sights in terms of out-of-state. Also, since I'm a reapplicant (submitted late last year and got no interviews), should I be considering applying DO as well?
I suggest:
WashU
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Yale
Cornell
U Chicago
Mayo
Case
Stanford
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
UCSF
Pitt
USC/Keck
UCSD
UCLA
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
SUNY-SB
Brown
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein

Emory

Tufts

NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
U WI
U CO
U VM
ALL FL state schools

Add some DO schools if you get no love by November

Reactions: 1 user
You should apply to all 8 of your Florida MD schools. Add any of the OOS schools that Goro suggested.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest:
WashU
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Yale
Cornell
U Chicago
Mayo
Case
Stanford
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
UCSF
Pitt
USC/Keck
UCSD
UCLA
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
SUNY-SB
Brown
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein

Emory

Tufts

NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
U WI
U CO
U VM
ALL FL state schools

Add some DO schools if you get no love by November
Thank you for this list! Just to be completely sure, I should only be applying DO this cycle is if I get no interviews by November? I feel extra pressured to apply DO this cycle (since I'm a reapplicant) even though I'm confident I can get into an MD school with my current application.

Thank you for this list! Just to be completely sure, I should only be applying DO this cycle is if I get no interviews by November? I feel extra pressured to apply DO this cycle (since I'm a reapplicant) even though I'm confident I can get into an MD school with my current application.
It's OK to apply DO early.