518 MCAT / ~2.92 cGPA / ~3.5 sGPA / 3.95 Postbacc GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GetThatAcetoned

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in a bit of weird situation as I have a full degree with a really ****ty GPA (~2.2) in business so I didn't get huge bumps for each 4.0 semester that I had. Luckily I only took a few science courses during that time so my sGPA isn't completely rekt because of it. I've now reached the point where I'm about to have too many credit hours to qualify for financial aid anymore so continuing to do GPA repair is no longer an option. I was really hoping to get above the 3.0 mark for my cGPA, but it's just not feasible as I'd need another year of undergrad and I can't pay for that out of pocket.

I really need to be smart with this school list as I know I have a huge mountain to climb to overcome this cGPA so I've come to you guys for some help. Any help adding or removing schools would be greatly appreciated. I'm applying both MD and DO and am willing to go anywhere in the country to make this dream happen. I also have very strong letters of recommendation and I have reason to believe that my committee letter will be the same as well if that matters at all.

• Year in school: Graduated this May with honors in Biology

• Country/state of residence: Virginia

• Schools to which you are applying (this is just a rough draft from sources I found online when I put my stats in):
    • All Virginia schools
    • Mayo
    • Tufts
    • Rush
    • Emory
    • Vermont COM
    • Maryland
    • Temple
    • Georgetown
    • Sidney Kimmel
    • Qunnipiac
    • Drexel
    • New York Medical College
    • Creighton
    • George Washington
    • Medical College of Georgia
    • Wake Forest
    • Chicago Medical School
    • Tulane
    • Edward Via COM (DO)
    • Albany
    • Oakland University
    • Loyola
    • West Virginia University (MD)
    • LECOM (DO)
    • PCOM (DO)
    • UNECOM (DO)
    • Touro (DO)
    • KCU-COM (DO)
    • WVU COM (DO)
  • Cumulative GPA: 2.92 (kill me pls)

• Science GPA: 3.52

• Postbacc GPA: 3.956 (>80 credit hours)

• MCAT Scores: 518 (128, 129, 130, 131)

• Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc): No publications, but I have a poster presentation as well as an oral presentation. I also had to write a thesis as it was part of a year long capstone project. Due to this course I was one of 3 people that graduated with honors in biology from my school this semester.

• Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: 25 hours at NICU, 35 hours scribing at a free clinic, ~50 hours at a free STI clinic

• Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: ~100 hours with a pulmonologist / critical care doctor so it was split between the ICU and his actual office

• Non-clinical volunteering: 200 hours tutoring children at a non-profit

• Extracurricular activities: Teaching assistant for organic chemistry for 1 year

• Employment history: Worked at an escape room for ~6 months when I first went back to school, but prior to going back I was a real estate agent for ~2 years then a marketing director for ~2 years,

• Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): No
  • Graduate degrees: None, but I am starting the VCU Pre-med CERT Program in the fall which can transition into a masters degree after 2 years.

• Interest in rural health (y/n): No, but I want to be involved with underserved populations in my city

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to a bunch of DO schools and any MD that reward reinvention; with that cGPA below the magic 3.0 number things might be hard and you may or may not be autoscreened out. However, the stellar postbacc GPA and MCAT score might get some schools to bite. You've got strong evidence that you've matured and are a changed student, with nearly three years' worth of 3.9+ postbacc and a 518 MCAT to cap it all off. Good luck! You might want to beef up your clinical volunteering with a few hundred hours in a hospice or with the developmentally disabled or something.

I would specifically look at the website of each of the schools where you wish to apply and find out if they autoscreen below 3.0 before wasting your money. (I'm not sure if this is in MSAR - maybe someone can let me know if that's true.) If the school website doesn't say, I'd call admissions before applying.

I'd also add the new Seton Hall/Hackensack MD school to your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools @Goro has previously mentioned that reward reinvention are:

• Tulane
  • NYMC
  • Albany
  • Drexel
  • Georgetown
  • GW
  • University of Miami
  • BU
  • Duke
  • Columbia
  • UCSF
  • Case
  • Vandy
  • Rosy Franklin
  • Pitt
  • Mayo
  • Hofstra
  • EVMS
  • Wake
  • Tufts
  • Dartmouth
  • Jefferson
  • Temple

Reactions: 1 user
Schools @Goro has previously mentioned that reward reinvention are:

• Tulane
  • NYMC
  • Albany
  • Drexel
  • Georgetown
  • GW
  • University of Miami
  • BU
  • Duke
  • Columbia
  • UCSF
  • Case
  • Vandy
  • Rosy Franklin
  • Pitt
  • Mayo
  • Hofstra
  • EVMS
  • Wake
  • Tufts
  • Dartmouth
  • Jefferson
  • Temple
With that MCAT score, add:
NYU and WashU. And also Wayne State. AND your state school!

Reactions: 1 user