518 MCAT/3.9 GPA School List Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corali

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an NC resident (non URM/ORM) attending a public state school with a 518 MCAT, 3.9 sGPA and 3.95 cGPA wondering what OOS schools I should apply to. I have about 60 hours of shadowing and decent research experience (1 presentation) and NC volunteering, but not a ton of clinical volunteering experience. Any help in putting together my school list would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Could you please tell more details about your ECs? Your stats are good, but ECs will determine where you go.

I am the president of a major organization on my campus (not medical related but still good leadership experience), have about 2 years and 1000 hours of research experience, a poster presentation at a showcase but no publications, have experience as a volunteer tutor and also served as a service leader last year on campus, and am currently volunteering in a emergency hospital for the summer, but I did not have any significant clinical volunteering experience before that except in high school (which I briefly mention in my PS but did not put in my Work/Activities because it was so long ago).

Members don't see this ad :)
You good fam. Where are you thinking of applying? Definitely can put some top tiers in there. Obviously you want to spread it out and apply broadly but you’re definitely a solid applicant applying for top 15-20 schools

I think using Wedgedawg’s applicant rating system (WARS) will be your best bet for figuring out what schools to apply to based on your stats and EC’s. Google “wars sdn” and you should find it. It will give you a % breakdown of what types of schools you should apply to. Your lack of clinical experiences, outside of shadowing, may limit your chances at top schools where many applicants have those experiences and/or some other incredible component of their app. You are definitely a solid applicant and I’m sure there are a lot of good mid-high tier OOS schools you could apply to. Again, use the WARS system.

I'm applying to all NC and SC in-states (I have ties to SC too), as well as a few T20s (Columbia, WashU, Dartmouth), Case Western, GWU, UVA, Eastern Virginia, NOVA MD, and Stony Brook...any other schools I should be considering?

You could add these schools to your application:
Boston University
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Miami
Tulane

Sounds great, thanks for the advice!