519 MCAT 3.9 gpa Hoping to match ortho in future. How important is the tier of school I get into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1087000

answered

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Withdrawing an acceptance to a USMD school for hopes for a "better" acceptance in the future would be demonstrably poor decision-making and personal malpractice on how to live one's life.

Unless the school has some sort of major violations or something along the lines of losing their primary teaching-hospital affiliate, then take the golden ticket and run (assuming you get in). School prestige helps, but there are multiple other factors are that are of significantly greater importance for matching into competitive fields.

Think of school prestige as the rider on an elephant, and you are the elephant. That rider might help pull left or right, but the elephant is going to go wherever it wants to go.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
@Darrow O'Lykos okay awesome thank you for the advice. I understand that once you get an acceptance, withdrawing is a huge red flag. I was debating withdrawing before getting a decision so I don't have the red flag pop up. Not too sure if I'm selling myself short with a brand new school with Step 1 becoming pass fail

Members don't see this ad :)
@Darrow O'Lykos okay awesome thank you for the advice. I understand that once you get an acceptance, withdrawing is a huge red flag. I was debating withdrawing before getting a decision so I don't have the red flag pop up. Not too sure if I'm selling myself short with a brand new school with Step 1 becoming pass fail
CUSM will have had 5 classes match by the time you match. Their inaugaural class had 3 ortho matches out of 60 total graduating students. Now, I don't know how many actually applied ortho, but many schools with class sizes of 150-200 may only have ~10 ortho matches, so that's pretty good. They even had a match into an integrated vascular program, which is highly competitive.

You will receive a perfectly fine medical education and training from CUSM with every opportunity to pursue any field you want, should you enroll there.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a really bad idea.
It's not Northstate.
Ahhh okay. I guess I just feel I could do a lot better with everything I've learned and the significant improvements in my activities, research, and narrative. Thank you for the advice though! Hopefully I get in.

Reactions: 1 user
519 and 3.9 is above their medians but you are not selling yourself short by going there. There are many applicants who can’t get in anywhere with even higher stats through multiple cycles.

I originally posted with my story of withdrawing from the one (and only) interview I had three years ago, it made very clear sense to me & worked out better than I could’ve imagined—but because it wasn’t related to school competitiveness or residency interest, I deleted the post.

The takeaway is that I would never blindly advise someone to do what I did UNLESS you have another true career you’d be happy pursuing and would also look back when you are 90 on your death bed & feel glad you had the extra few years pursuing it. If that is the case, feel free to message me

Reactions: 2 users