519 MCAT, meh GPA, international (Canadian), should I set sights a bit higher?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

positivetension-

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got MCAT back recently and scored 519 (including 130 CARS and 131 Bio). My cGPA is pretty low (3.6; Engineering undergrad which really lowered my GPA the first couple of years, but strong upward trend). Without going into detail, above average ECs, lots of research experience, and will have a Master's in a couple of months. I applied exclusively to lowish-tier schools known to accept Canadians. I'm wondering if, due to high MCAT, I should add some higher tier places that are also friendly to Canadians (e.g., Case Western). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Canadian here, I have a similar MCAT (albeit a higher GPA) and I aimed high. I think my breakdown was 2 safeties, 5 mid tiers, 6 reaches.

I'd say send a few more to higher tier schools. If the worst part about your application is a 3.6 (with that good of an MCAT score) you should give yourself a chance with some of those schools. I think you deserve that! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got MCAT back recently and scored 519 (including 130 CARS and 131 Bio). My cGPA is pretty low (3.6; Engineering undergrad which really lowered my GPA the first couple of years, but strong upward trend). Without going into detail, above average ECs, lots of research experience, and will have a Master's in a couple of months. I applied exclusively to lowish-tier schools known to accept Canadians. I'm wondering if, due to high MCAT, I should add some higher tier places that are also friendly to Canadians (e.g., Case Western). Thanks!

Pride begets the fall.

Reactions: 1 user
I would do it, especially with the master's and if you have good ECs.

Target those med schools that accept internationals and have taken more than five in the last year.

Second Goro's post. I don't really recommend focusing too much on top tier schools. Take a stab at a few if you want but your focus on your list should be mostly lower tier schools and some of those ambigous mid tier types such as Case Western, Boston U, Einstein(I Think all of these take internationals).

Target those med schools that accept internationals and have taken more than five in the last year.

Is there an updated list of the number of internationals matriculated somewhere? Is this something reported on MSAR, or has someone compiled a list of this specific statistic? I do have a list I was working from, but it is quite old (2011).

Is there an updated list of the number of internationals matriculated somewhere? Is this something reported on MSAR, or has someone compiled a list of this specific statistic? I do have a list I was working from, but it is quite old (2011).
If you go on to "accepted applicants" tab or something on MSAR, it lists IS, OOS, and international data.

Reactions: 1 user