MD 520/3.91 Potential Reapplicant Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardamom_coffee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am in this current cycle but am slightly concerned that I don't have any A's yet. Would appreciate advice on 1) what to improve during potential gap year and 2) school-list suggestions

cGPA: 3.91 and sGPA: 3.91 (AMCAS)
MCAT: 520 (131/127/131/131)
State ties: ties to OH and MI (US citizen but grew up overseas; already checked no school in my current state will consider me in-state because I've only been in the state since college)
College: flagship state school
Major: Biomedical Engineering
URM - No
Clinical employment: 300 hours patient sitter
Clinical volunteering: 50 hours
Research: 600 hours software development in Bio lab, no pubs
Shadowing: 10 hours ophtho before covid
Non-clinical volunteering:
  • Mentor for middle schoolers (2 hr weekly sessions), involved since I was in high school (800 hrs)
  • Took gap year between high school and college; volunteered full-time in a country in the Middle East
EC:
  • TA for Orgo, 2 semesters: 300 hours
  • Taught at a weekend Mandarin school first semester freshman year
  • Aerospace engineering rocket design club: one semester
  • Strong interest in Arabic (ties in with my volunteer time in the Middle East), Critical Language Scholarship alternate award
I have continued mentoring and TA'ing after submitting my apps.

This cycle: 23 secondary applications completed, 4 II, 2 post-II WL. Complete at all schools mid to late July. Strong LOR's (I think), had my essays (both primary and secondary) reviewed by my school's writing center, advisors, and mentors. Practiced interviews with resources at my school and with roommates.

Shool list:
II: OSU (deferred), Western Michigan (WL), Cornell, Kaiser

R's:
Umich
Wayne
NYU
Vandy
Mayo
UPenn

Still waiting:
Temple
Emory
Tufts
WashU
UMaryland (pre-II hold)
Duke
Harvard
Jeffereson
Toledo
SLU
UColorado (CUSOM)
Wake Forest
Vermont

I would be overjoyed if I end up being accepted to any of the places I've interviewed. However, I know Cornell is hard to get in, and Kaiser interviews many for a tiny class. Just trying to be realistic and to be prepared

Members don't see this ad.

1) IF shut out, take a gap year and help those less fortunate than you here in the US
2) Get some 50 hours more of shadowing. 10 would work for DO, but you'll need more for MD
3) Work on interview skills
4) You've had a good cycle...be patient.

1) IF shut out, take a gap year and help those less fortunate than you here in the US
2) Get some 50 hours more of shadowing. 10 would work for DO, but you'll need more for MD
3) Work on interview skills
4) You've had a good cycle...be patient.
Thanks for the advice; I really appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user