MD 522 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, small school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bythelightofthemoon14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a unique situation in which I will be out of the country during the application cycle due to an opportunity to work abroad. I am trying to be strategic in applying to only a limited number of schools so I can afford to fly back once or twice for any interview offers I receive.

I have pretty well rounded ECs, am a Spanish major, studied abroad, but no research publications and only 1 science faculty LOR (+ a letter from my PI that I'm hoping will count..)

I am worried I have too many reach schools, any advice on this?
My current list:
Mayo - Rochester
Mayo - Arizona
University of Minnesota (state school)
University of Wisconsin
Northwestern
UChicago
Miami
Johns Hopkins
Cornell
Case Western

Any advice is MUCH appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of students I know were abroad during their app cycles and managed to take of 1-2 weeks where they flew back and did 5 interviews in a week and then went back. They still applied to 20-25 schools. I honestly don't feel comfortable recommending that you apply to such a small number of schools, especially since you only have 1 IS option.

That said, this looks like a good list for you given your stats. Good luck and enjoy your trip abroad!

A lot of students I know were abroad during their app cycles and managed to take of 1-2 weeks where they flew back and did 5 interviews in a week and then went back. They still applied to 20-25 schools. I honestly don't feel comfortable recommending that you apply to such a small number of schools, especially since you only have 1 IS option.

That said, this looks like a good list for you given your stats. Good luck and enjoy your trip abroad!

Thank you for the advice! I don't feel overly comfortable applying to so few either, but I don't know how much time I will be able to take off and don't want to waste time and money applying to schools if I won't be able to make it back for potential interviews.. so that's where I'm stuck. I really appreciate your feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you will need to fly back to the USA for interviews you could add schools in cities where you are already applying to such as NYU, Einstein and Mount Sinai in NYC.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the advice! I don't feel overly comfortable applying to so few either, but I don't know how much time I will be able to take off and don't want to waste time and money applying to schools if I won't be able to make it back for potential interviews.. so that's where I'm stuck. I really appreciate your feedback!

How do you feel about being a reapplicant?

Do you think it will be detrimental to my application to only have 1 LOR from an actual science professor and one from my PI at schools that require 2 letters from science faculty that taught you?

How do you feel about being a reapplicant?

The idea I went into this application cycle with was, if I get in, fantastic! If I don't, then I will be back in the country next year and have more access to a greater number of schools/interviews.

My understanding is that some Admissions Deans will accomodate you by allowing you to arrange your interview dates to be close to others.

Given how competitive UC is, I'd swap it out with another school. Ditto U WI

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a unique situation in which I will be out of the country during the application cycle due to an opportunity to work abroad. I am trying to be strategic in applying to only a limited number of schools so I can afford to fly back once or twice for any interview offers I receive.

I have pretty well rounded ECs, am a Spanish major, studied abroad, but no research publications and only 1 science faculty LOR (+ a letter from my PI that I'm hoping will count..)

I am worried I have too many reach schools, any advice on this?
My current list:
Mayo - Rochester
Mayo - Arizona
University of Minnesota (state school)
University of Wisconsin
Northwestern
UChicago
Miami
Johns Hopkins
Cornell
Case Western

Any advice is MUCH appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Remember that you don't necessarily have to attend interviews and/or can cancel them. I would recommend applying to more schools to maximize the number of interviews that you could get, but then being more selective about which you actually end up attending (depending on what works for your schedule). You should attend your UMN interview no matter what.

Reactions: 1 users