524, 3.8, EC lacking. suggestions for schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying this upcoming cycle, aiming for ~15-20 schools to apply to. I'm mostly trying to get some suggestions for OOS (from TX) schools I could apply to. My main goal is probably BCM or UTSW due to the quality of education for the price.

Based on the stats I've given (I know my EC's are weak compared to a lot of other applicants I've read about on here), is it even reasonable for me to apply to many OOS private schools? I would almost definitely choose BCM over any OOS private schools because it is so much cheaper.

Also, should I apply to more safety schools? I am relatively confident that my scores give me a pretty good shot at some of the less competitive TX schools, but again, I'm not sure how my EC's will impact this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No clinical volunteering at all? You have 5 months to fix that. Do it! Get some more non-clinical volunteering too. Don't let these weaknesses sink your app. You have time to fix it.

Without clinical volunteering, and service volunteering, you're not going to be a doctor. Especially if you're aiming towards top schools. They like service.

So take a gap year, and show off your altruism, and show Adcoms that you really want to be around sick people for the next 40 years.